Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Basically any scope works great on a bright clear day, but in my experience, upper end scope separate themselves in the first and last 30 minutes of daylight.
Bingo. Repeatability/durability (if you dial a lot) and low light performance are the two factors where you'll see prices jump the most.

A decent scope will allow one to see in twilight a little better than they could with the naked eye...but a good scope allows you to pick off objects in a treeline 300 yards away ten minutes before/after your unaided vision allows.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I have a Weaver K4 from way back in the day. It has actual wires for crosshairs and is not nitrogen filled.
If anyone needs to see the difference between then and now in scope glass development, I can make it happen. The difference is amazing.
Scope is mounted on a 7.7 Jap action that has been sporterized and rebarelled to a .300 Savage caliber.
Bishop stock is hand engraved with some mother of pearl inlays. Interesting rifle, but it’s accurate and has a couple of virtual notches for some deer it has taken.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Is it in 303? Had a fella offer me one in trade on that sks but didn’t know much about them and when I told him that boy howdy was he insulted. Felt like I said something about his wife way he got about it. Had another fella pitch a fit over a mossin. Some peoples kids

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Is it in 303? Had a fella offer me one in trade on that sks but didn’t know much about them and when I told him that boy howdy was he insulted. Felt like I said something about his wife way he got about it. Had another fella pitch a fit over a mossin. Some peoples kids
It is a .303. Mine is an actual British sniper rifle with all the correct little markings from Holland and Holland (fakes everywhere as these things are EXPENSIVE). Where mine loses some value is that the rifle is a 1945 model, the scope is 1941...so mismatched, which many were after the war as the rifles and scopes were kept separately until they were eventually slapped together and sold off to the U. S. as surplus.

Amazingly, the turrets on my 80 year old scope are just as tactile and distinct as my Burris and Bushnell.

Mine was made by Kodak Ltd for the war effort.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
It’s one of those things you really don’t know what you’re missing until you look through good glass.
I had the chance to use some Trijicon scopes in my past life. And their glass almost had a cooling effect on my eyes. Great glass! But I also have a Thompson 3x9x40 scope on my Encore that is great in low light levels and it was $70 way back when.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have a year or ten of experience with the ACOG. I also have two of their now discontinued Accupower scopes. Really good glass for the money, but the turrets aren't set up to be cranked on all the time.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts