Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dillo problem. He was gone for some time, but has returned with a partner. Each time I have put out live traps, all I've gotten are ticked off racoons.
I can't shoot him for two reasons--not in the county and the wife is funny about such things.

Please help.
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
Keep trapping. Once the bandits are gone the dillos will follow.
Pop them with a bow is all else fails. Just make sure the wife’s asleep at the time.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
There are a bunch of YouTube videos on this, but I don't know how effective the methods are.

I just watch the chunks fly in the thermal. If you get extremely desperate, you can probably get away with the cheaper digital night vision on a .22 shooting subsonic ammo.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I asked the mayor, who lives around the corner if I could use a .22 and he said, sure--go ahead, the neighbors won't care.
If our paths meet at an opportune time, I may just blast him/them with the 20 gauge. Been mighty tempted.
Take all of them out that you can with the decline in trapping this has become a major issue.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Here’s the way I look at this situation, if the OP has armadillo problems, then his neighbors have armadillo problems. Why in the world would anyone complain about someone attempting to remedy a neighborhood problem.🤷‍♂️
When I was a kid, we had a feral cat problem where I was living at the time. Dad and the neighbor (residential neighborhood) were big into catch and release out into the country, or eradication via .22s and CCI subsonics.

One day we went out to the car for church. Flat tire. Took the truck instead. When we got home dad pulled the wheel as he was going to go and see if he could get the tire patched the following day. He finds a very small puncture in the sidewall...odd. rolling the wheel to the garage, he hears something rattling inside, and that is when he put 2 + 2 together and went back with the wheel and lined up the hole. Sure enough it lines up with the neighbor's doorstep.

Dad was able to get the tire patched, and had a laugh when the technician showed him the bullet that he found. Told the guy that we lived in a rough neighborhood.

The neighbor was forever known after that day as "Bullseye Kelso" (his last name) behind his back.

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
Yup--they live under old 82nd Airborne Norm's shed.
My twin brother was 82nd Airborne.
Colebri (sp) makes sub sonic rounds. They don’t cycle in my 10/22 but work in my .22 revolver.
You could always try a pellet or BB gun on them.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
When I was a kid, we had a feral cat problem where I was living at the time. Dad and the neighbor (residential neighborhood) were big into catch and release out into the country, or eradication via .22s and CCI subsonics.

One day we went out to the car for church. Flat tire. Took the truck instead. When we got home dad pulled the wheel as he was going to go and see if he could get the tire patched the following day. He finds a very small puncture in the sidewall...odd. rolling the wheel to the garage, he hears something rattling inside, and that is when he put 2 + 2 together and went back with the wheel and lined up the hole. Sure enough it lines up with the neighbor's doorstep.

Dad was able to get the tire patched, and had a laugh when the technician showed him the bullet that he found. Told the guy that we lived in a rough neighborhood.

The neighbor was forever known after that day as "Bullseye Kelso" (his last name) behind his back.
My dad grew show roses as a hobby. Used cotton seed hulls as a mulch. The neighborhood cats liked them as well to poop in which really made my dad angry.
He promptly set up a perimeter called the "circle of death" around those rose bushes.
He could stand in the bedroom with the window up just enough to take the shot with .22 shorts without the barrel sticking out the window. He stood at the back side of the room shooting through the gap in the window. Almost zero report outside.
That was the only animal I ever saw my dad kill. He was pretty much anti-gun along with the rest of my family growing up.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I've tried trapping Armadillo's with leg hold traps. They don't have a knuckle so the offset traps we are required to use don't work.
Went to a trapping class once. One of the techniques for armadillo's was to set a live trap in the yard where they are digging and get some long 2X6's to form a V in front of the live trap.
Bait the trap with fresh veggi scraps or a tub of night crawlers with enough small holes punched into the lid to let the odor out, keeping the worms inside.
Worms are one of their favorite foods. The armadillo will be funneled into the trap. If you know where the den is, face the V towards the den.
We are overwhelmed by dillo's here in the woods. Can't tell you how many I've killed by gunfire.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I saw a video of a box trap for armadillo. It opened on both ends and the trigger was in the middle. When the armadillo went in the he hit the trigger and both doors slid shut.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You guys ever call armadillos? Works pretty well. Get out in your yard around 2 in the morning and sit with your back up against a tree. Take a couple big wooden spoons with you. Put the first spoon in the ground handle first and then take the other and slowly rub the top of the first spoon slowly. The sound moves through the ground and other dillers hear it and think it’s another of its kind uprooting it’s prime grub ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I saw a video of a box trap for armadillo. It opened on both ends and the trigger was in the middle. When the armadillo went in the he hit the trigger and both doors slid shut.
This kind of trap does work, but you typically have to have it up against a fence to kind haze them in. My Dad was very successful with his.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Anybody going out to call dillers tonight? The Sol-Lun tables are showing 3:25-6:15 am to be prime time.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
I'm in! Actually built a diller caller tonight knowing this was coming up that isn't really two spoons but a wooden rod you stick in the ground with knobs on it, then rub those knobs with another stick to force nightcrawlers to the surface.
Since nightcrawlers are the #1 food of dillers, I'm suspecting this may work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts