Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think this year's season will better than last year? I think it will be but I will have to change my hunting tactics this year by hunting more open water. Last year I didn't do so good because the birds weren't here like they were the yera before.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I read in Outdoor life magazine that all of the stars came together, and the planets were aligned this spring.
Meaning the waterfowl population may be the best in recent recorded history.
I haven't duck hunted in years, but work at Sooner Lake, and the ducks last year were incredible. I'm sure with the drought, and ponds being dry, it may even be better.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Duck Population are better then they have ever been since they started taken records over 50 years ago.
If we don't see the rain to fill the lakes or ponds, Duck season will suck worse then last season.
I plain to shift most of waterfowl season to goose field hunting & hope the rain comes.
Plain to do some float tubing duck'n for Mallard & Woodduck if all else fails.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
NAHC magazine sez the duck are in a boom year! Hope so.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
The only bad thing about this rain filling the ponds, is that most of them have been dry for so long that the pond plants that ducks normally feed on, did not grow. Its just going to be a mud bottom.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
As long as the ducks hit the water so should we.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lake Ellsworth and Lawtonka might be good this year but my waterholes are likely more than a mudhole. So I guess Lawtonka for this year. But has anyone here how Hackberry Flats is this year?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hackberry Flats- has never been the same since they opened it back in 2000-2001.
They have split up the WMA & so only so much of it you can hunt.
Then to top that off you got limited pace & everyone who has hunted out their & knows the place is gonna be on the X.

I would like to go back & see if the fields still offer good on Sand Hill Cranes.
Hackberry is a good place to hunt you just to leave way early or stay the night in campground to get your spot.

The dove hunting out their has always been good & still is just have to go to steel dove loads.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last time I was at the Flats the Sandhills were everywhere. I have had some good teal hunts there too.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Early teal season can pay off HBF WMA.
Have friends that go every season & limit out the first two days.
That 45 minute drive just hurts for Teal or Dove.

Thanks for info on the sands,I will have to make some phone calls to set up a hunt of two down their for um.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I have a 45 minute drive to my hunting areas.
I have heard on the internet and on this forum that sandhills are the ribeyes of the sky.
I'm serious about hunting some, and willing to travel.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Me too, can't wait to try and get some and see if they are as tasty as they say.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Shoot 45 min ain't anything. I make the 90 miles one way to your place all the time gauge. Its 65 miles to the wma I have been going to. Will hunt and will travel.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not shot a sandhill but I would like to. I have heard that thay are really good to eat. I never seen a sandhill until I moved here to Okla homa. I am originally from Missouri and I never seen one there. I'll say one thing though Oklahoma sure some one best hunting I have ever come across.
Dennis and Bird maybe this season we can hook up and try Hackberry Flats for a hunt and maybe have a chance at get a a sandhill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Talked to the wildlife biologist at HBF early this week and "....unless we have 7-9" of rainfall we won't have enough water to flood anything". Aside from that he told me nothing grew out there and given the miracle of rain did happen ducks wouldnt stay as there was nothing to eat. My friend travels that area a few times a week and says that we had better plan on finding them else where. :-[

Wish there was more rain in the forecast for the next ooohhhh 35 days.

Erie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Early teal season can pay off HBF WMA.
Have friends that go every season & limit out the first two days.

Thanks for info on the sands,I will have to make some phone calls to set up a hunt of two down their for um.
In the last two years I've been living in SW Oklahoma it hasn't been open for early teal. Save all the water they can for big duck season and even then it wasnt enough last year to sustain pools worth hunting.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
year before last I teal hunted the resevior at HBF and did really good.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hay, Bull... but when ya come down- you limit or I help you out with your limit.
If, I can travel 15 minutes or less & kill limits no need to travel further down the road. {Exception}- need to see new scenery.
Why ya think Bird migrates down south to my place...To go home with limits.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
The new MAXUS will change all that. It's been made by the GOD's.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder how Lake Waruika will be this year? Has anybody heard?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts