Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new email from the wildlife department's- wildlife news today.

Gonna give us 9 x-tra days this season.
Plus their is a unlimited limit on European collard doves this season. ;D

15 dove limit on morning & white wing dove + unlimited collard dove.
I'm stoked about this season. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
121 Posts
me too. Hope to get with ya this year and change our streak around Guage. lol

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Gauge are you doing a get together this year??

Michael

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
That unlimited bag on the Euro collared ought to make some money for the shotshell makers!!!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Gauge are you doing a get together this year??

Michael

He is but you aren't invited..:p J/K yeah he's running the annual dove hunt and has it posted here.. http://www.oklahomahunter.net/forum/index.php?topic=724.0

I will be there hmm I forget which day but it will be the first weekend.. I want to do both days but since the new baby will be just a month old I can't take off for an entire weekend just yet.

Gauge good to hear about the limits now maybe if my aim was better..:)

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Thanks for the update. Do you think Gauge would let me bring a full auto 12ga. J/K

Michael

·
Registered
541 Posts
Can someone explain to me why they would have no limit on the Eurasian Collared dove? I have several of them around my house and they seem to be a really nice bird. I like to dove hunt myself and I was just getting excited about them being here and now the Dept. is setting a Kill all You want season on them...Is there something wrong with them that I'm not aware of? Just wondering!

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Known man-eaters :eek:

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
I kind of wondered myself why no limits on the eurasian dove.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, I'm not very smart..but I remember the first year the Dept. started bring in the geese...Since then they have taken over a lot of the public swimming areas, blocked traffic on busy streets, caused wrecks including at least one 18 wheeler...and made it nearly impossible to walk around most public lakes without rubber boots..How does the Dept refer to the goose program? ( The greatest Success Story of all times...Even greater than the story on the wild turkey..Now the collared dove shows up in the state...free of charge, no extra expenses on the Dept..as far as I know it hasn't caused any wrecks or taken over any streets or runways...it only offers a really neat bird to look at as well as a wonderful target and I'm betting pretty good eating...and so what does the state of Oklahoma do? Set a Kill Em All limit..I've spent most of my life wishing I was educated...If this is the way educated people think...I'll probably spend the rest of my life being thankful I'm not..

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
I tried to do a little quick research, and found they are an invasive specie that was imported to the Bahama's in the 70's. They may become an agricultural pest where it eats and fouls grain, and may be displacing native mourning dove populations. Thats all I could find so far.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yea, I've been reading myself but I really didn't find any information as far as why they would be considered destructive..everyone just says they are not native to the states..well...the ring neck isn't native either but it certainly is a nice bird. I did read where the Euro is not a migratory bird.stays in one area year round...seems to like being around people, in fact one article said at times they don't even show any fear of humans...Maybe it's cause they plan on having the people for dinner...whatever...Maybe I'm just getting too old...It just seems like a really neat bird and one that I enjoy having around...I even look forward to having a Euro Dove casorole sometime...but I would also like to be able to have a good dinner of them in a few years also...Like I said..Maybe I'm wrong...I sure hope so...

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Even the mourning dove is not migrating like they used to. I have a large flock that stays all winter numbering in the hundreds of dove.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Just a guess on the EC dove limit. Since they are considered an invasive specie that they will over populate in a short amount of time, driving the native specie out of the areas. While the ring necked pheasant has been transplanted in Okla., at one time it was a native bird to Okla., it was done in a controlled manner and limits set to controll it population. Guess the EC dove breed at a larger rate than the pheasant and they don't want to loose the mourning doves. Plus I don't think recreational hunting has ever decimated a population of wild critter like commercial hunting has in the past. So the game dept. thinks we could all shoot all we wanted in the relativley short hunting season and not put a big hurt on them.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, for the late reply's being fishing.

They are over populated & not a native species of dove to North America.
{Yes-I'm having a G.T. again this year..cheek out the G.T. Forum for info}.
Only thing to worry about is the water table levels in the farm ponds.
If they are to high the dove hunting will be fair.
I hope they get low by Sept,1st.
If they do,It will be another explosive dove season.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Well if we continue down this dry route I suspect that water levels will be low this year. I sure hope that first weekend turns out to be a great weekend..:)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Me too,Okchunter.
Yet all the farm ponds around here all full. :(
Still got August to go throu yet though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts