Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone notice that there is less to choose from this year for the draw hunts? One Elk hunt in Decemeber, WTF is up with that? 24 Bull tags. Now there will be 30000 people going for 24 bull tags. Anyone know if the Elk numbers are down or why the Wildlife Dept. did this. Lots of places missing from the deer hunts also.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I've noticed that the selection has gotten smaller the last several years. Don't know the reason why if the state herds are getting larger as they claim. Seems I get drawn for a deer hunt every other year, but did get a turkey hunt at Gruber on the 15 Apr this year.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I didn't get to apply last year but I have every intention this year. I just hope my schedule slows down a bit.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Did anyone notice that there is less to choose from this year for the draw hunts? One Elk hunt in Decemeber, WTF is up with that? 24 Bull tags. Now there will be 30000 people going for 24 bull tags. Anyone know if the Elk numbers are down or why the Wildlife Dept. did this. Lots of places missing from the deer hunts also.
I heard on another forum that high hunter sucess, and the ice storm cause a kill-off of the population. I don't believe the ice storm had anything to do with it in my opinion. They live in a lot colder climates than Okla, and they are big enough animals to get through any ice, for food.
Actually the Wildlife dept has nothing to do with managing the elk herd. Its a Federal deal. The ODW just runs the hunts to help controll the population.

All of that being said......I'm speculating now......I wonder if they needed some elk trapped to restock some other Federal area? I know they have been stocking Elk in Ky, and Pensylvania. If they did that, it could account for the low numbers we get to apply for.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
They have been talking about let'n some loose in WV and VA according some friends I have out that way.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I haven't been able to put in for a ***** age.
Got to this year for Elk,Deer,& Antelope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts