Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I didn't draw anything either. Next year I will have 28 "preference" points for elk and 18 for antelope. Apparently go to my grave with never drawing the elk hunt.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Heck with that many points you would think it would be almost a given
Well, it's not a true preference point system like other states have. Ours just means I got put into the random draw 27 times this year.
I'm hearing rumors there may be some changes made to the draw system in the future but have zero details.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I'm looking forward to any draw. The antelope would be great as well. Were you successful on the antelope hunt, and was it public land?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know anybody out there, so I'd have to use the Rita Blanca National Grasslands.
I didn’t know anyone out the but the farmers were real good people and will let you on there place. I ended up with about 4000 Acers to hunt out there just by talking to people. Just knock and talk was the way I done it.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I didn’t know anyone out the but the farmers were real good people and will let you on there place. I ended up with about 4000 Acers to hunt out there just by talking to people. Just knock and talk was the way I done it.
Good information to know. I travel through that area all the time. Stopped in Guymon to eat one trip and overheard a lady talking that the antelope were a danged nuisance and wished the ODW would allow more hunting because they were eating the grass and drinking the water their cows needed.
Seeing an opportunity I asked her if hunting was available on her property with land owner tags.
She said yes, replying that there was a $300 trespass fee per day to hunt her property.
I replied thank you very much and I'd pass that along to a "friend" looking for a place to hunt.
Apparently, they are not as mad at the antelope eating their grass as she was putting on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good information to know. I travel through that area all the time. Stopped in Guymon to eat one trip and overheard a lady talking that the antelope were a danged nuisance and wished the ODW would allow more hunting because they were eating the grass and drinking the water their cows needed.
Seeing an opportunity I asked her if hunting was available on her property with land owner tags.
She said yes, replying that there was a $300 trespass fee per day to hunt her property.
I replied thank you very much and I'd pass that along to a "friend" looking for a place to hunt.
Apparently, they are not as mad at the antelope eating their grass as she was putting on.
Heck I was scouting a piece of Rita Blanka and had a rancher stop me and said he had 2500 acres that I could hunt just don’t shot the cows

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
I got skunked on my limited quota elk and my son got skunked on his antelope. Looks like we will have to get general elk tags plus I still have my bear tag.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Antelope17
Deer Hunts7
Elk27
Spring Turkey Hunts7

These are my preference points. They will be up by one on the next draw.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i was hoping I wouldn’t hear that
The only deer hunts input in for are on Salt Plains. Its a 2 deer hunt. Tons of deer , zero people and your chances of seeing a big deer are really good. Just a little harder to frame those because everyone wants them but when you do get drawn it's worth it. Ive been on that one a couple times.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Same with wild hogs. The farmers want to piss and moan about the damage hogs do and how something should be done but if you offer to hunt them they want a couple hundred a day. I finally just gave up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts