Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good information to know. I travel through that area all the time. Stopped in Guymon to eat one trip and overheard a lady talking that the antelope were a danged nuisance and wished the ODW would allow more hunting because they were eating the grass and drinking the water their cows needed.
Seeing an opportunity I asked her if hunting was available on her property with land owner tags.
She said yes, replying that there was a $300 trespass fee per day to hunt her property.
I replied thank you very much and I'd pass that along to a "friend" looking for a place to hunt.
Apparently, they are not as mad at the antelope eating their grass as she was putting on.
Same with wild hogs. The farmers want to piss and moan about the damage hogs do and how something should be done but if you offer to hunt them they want a couple hundred a day. I finally just gave up.
I’m not paying a nickel to shoot a pig, but if the hunting is good, I’d probably pay the lady $300/day to shoot an antelope. I’d have to scout a little before committing though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, the landowners out there do hate the speed goats. I was told that, not only do they pull the wheat out by the roots, they tear up fences something awful! I didn't have to pay to hunt. I got a couple of good contacts before I went out there, and had access to lots of land. There were four of us hunting together. I got a shot at a doe and missed at roughly 400 yards. I then deferred to the rest of the guys in the group and never got another shot. I really believe (and everyone I talked to that lives out there agreed) that the ODWC needs to really open up the opportunities for antelope out there. Like, OTC rifle permits for does. I think it will eventually happen, but maybe not in my lifetime!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This was my first year putting in for OK draws. I put in for bull elk and McAlester. Unsuccessful. Heck, I even forgot to buy myself a preference point for CO this year too. Sucky.

The only special hunt I have lined up is TX javelina again in February. I can't wait for that! Probably will hunt Arcadia again, it's only my 14-15th year doing so (I absolutely can't believe it's been that long!!!)

I'm 100% planning to go back to CO in 2023. I don't know if it will be mule deer or elk, but I'm already drooling over the idea of going back. Thinking about spike camping this time, splitting the week in half, coming out mid-week to resupply then hump back into the mountains. I need to test my grit a little bit.

Congrats to the lucky ones who drew out this year!

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I’m not paying a nickel to shoot a pig, but if the hunting is good, I’d probably pay the lady $300/day to shoot an antelope. I’d have to scout a little before committing though.
I might as well pay her as I'll never get drawn for the controlled hunts it appears.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don’t think I would want to pay her if it is such an issue for her and her livelihood something doesn’t seem right about that. I have no issue with someone trying to make a dollar but that particular scenario doesn’t go down so easy.
Nuisance or not, I don’t really see it any different than anyone else leasing out land or selling hunts. I could easily sell hunts on my place and for real money, but I haven’t killed a 200 incher yet. If/when I accomplish that, I’ll probably sell out and quit hunting all together.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I haven’t killed a 200 incher yet. If/when I accomplish that, I’ll probably sell out and quit hunting all together.
HAHAHA!!! No you won't. The bar will just get set higher.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Nuisance or not, I don’t really see it any different than anyone else leasing out land or selling hunts. I could easily sell hunts on my place and for real money, but I haven’t killed a 200 incher yet. If/when I accomplish that, I’ll probably sell out and quit hunting all together.
Make your own bow and arrow, nap the heads and kill a 200” at 10’ and then maybe consider retiring. Until then hunt hard, hunt often but most importantly happy hunting!!

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Like I said I don’t have an issue with someone making a buck but if you are a peanut farmer and these things are destroying your crop why would you try squeezing someone that is offering a solution especially if you aren’t a hunter yourself. Maybe just my personality. There’s an outfit a few miles from me that people pay about $300 to shoot a pig, after watching Diggler smoke so many I started thinking dadgum

21 - 29 of 29 Posts