Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Stillwater area has had decent numbers I’ve heard. Lakes Lawtonka and Ellsworth has good numbers as well.

·
Administrator
13,580 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Lake Lawtonka has been slow but I haven't heard anything about Lake Ellesworth. I will be going out to Ellesworth in the morning.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Less birds everywhere the last three years. Hit or miss over the last three years and not near the migration and/or those that hang out in OK on their way south. I've got places in KS that are the same. Scouting is more important than ever now. Seems that the bwt, redheads and gads still migrate somewhat normal early, but since the water has been open the last three years as far north as Nebraska, the majority of the mallards, pins, wigeon and even gwt don't even come this far south anymore, they only go as far south as they need to find open water. Some of the WMA like Kaw no longer plant millet for the birds, and there's an overnight waterfowl guide setting at every intersection glassing for birds about every evening. Primary cause is the weather though. If you've got ponds with birds hunt them while you can.

·
Administrator
13,580 Posts
I'm not a big duck hunter although I would and maybe get into it but I've noticed a little pattern.
I have a small 1/4 acre pond on one of the farms.
The only ducks I see on it are mallards.
A friend has 15,000 acres with lots of ponds. In what we call the bull pasture, we have never seen any ducks other than mallards.
Other ponds have teal, gads, and what ever. That one pond only attracts Mallards.
Why?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I'm not a big duck hunter although I would and maybe get into it but I've noticed a little pattern.
I have a small 1/4 acre pond on one of the farms.
The only ducks I see on it are mallards.
A friend has 15,000 acres with lots of ponds. In what we call the bull pasture, we have never seen any ducks other than mallards.
Other ponds have teal, gads, and what ever. That one pond only attracts Mallards.
Why?
Vegetation around the edges and bottom, if you'll look there will be a ton of tiny snail shells around the edges also probably, clarity of the water too.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well we are gonna give it hell. I’ve never not seen ducks in our ponds so hopefully there’s some good numbers.

How were your hunts? About as slow and as few birds as I can ever remember in the last 30 years here. And we thought last year was bad lol.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The ducks are not down here where I'm at. They are all staying up north. There's still a lot of open up there water and no big cold fronts to push them down south. Lake Lawtonka and Ellsworth are dead. I might go out the last weekend but that still depends if there are any birds.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The ducks are not down here where I'm at. They are all staying up north. There's still a lot of open up there water and no big cold fronts to push them down south. Lake Lawtonka and Ellsworth are dead. I might go out the last weekend but that still depends if there are any birds.
Same here, there's still open water in Nebraska, and the only ducks we saw and shot yesterday were gadwals lol. In mid january a 40 bird flock of gadwals in northern oklahoma, crazy.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Haven’t seen any ducks and geese around here in weeks. Rivers got a few open spots you’d think would keep some around but I guess not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that was not what I expected. Im used to sitting in the deer stand near our ponds and just watching birds constantly lock up and land almost by the hundreds. Like everyone is saying they are not there yet. In 4 days we shot a total of 14 birds with a lot of time spent jumping ponds with not much luck. Not only the ducks but it was just dead silence, no geese, sandhills or anything. It was really kind of odd. Had some buddies in Arkansas around the same time that did terrible too. I'm a bit relieved to see that its been like that mostly everywhere this year.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Well that was not what I expected. Im used to sitting in the deer stand near our ponds and just watching birds constantly lock up and land almost by the hundreds. Like everyone is saying they are not there yet. In 4 days we shot a total of 14 birds with a lot of time spent jumping ponds with not much luck. Not only the ducks but it was just dead silence, no geese, sandhills or anything. It was really kind of odd. Had some buddies in Arkansas around the same time that did terrible too. I'm a bit relieved to see that its been like that mostly everywhere this year.
Sorry you had such a lack of birds. I’m sure you still had a good time nevertheless.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As typical for my place, I saw a few canvass backs or red heads (I really suck at identifying without my glasses on) as I was working on the ranch. I usually spot and stalk, which I understand will get traditional duck hunters eyebrows' raised.

As I snuck past one pond towards the one that I knew was occupied, two ring-necked popped up from the water 20 yards from me where they had been diving/feeding. All of a sudden there were four of them taking off. I got the first as it was just clearing the water, the second as it was about 6 feet up, and the third as it was about 15 feet off and about 40 yards away.

Don't ask me to do that again...because I probably would go 0 for 3.

20210123_114949.jpg

·
Administrator
13,580 Posts
Good shooting!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Nice job getting 3 scores after I'm sure you jumped a bit from the pheasants.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice job getting 3 scores after I'm sure you jumped a bit from the pheasants.
I actually used to pheasant hunt quite a bit about 25 years ago. This wasn't too different, but they took off at a much faster and lower angle. The Mallards I busted last year took off almost exactly like pheasants.

I know the fun is in sitting there and calling...but I have cattle to feed every morning. My duck hunting now is done as I'm heading back to the barn and observe the ponds 😁.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts