Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
I actually used to pheasant hunt quite a bit about 25 years ago. This wasn't too different, but they took off at a much faster and lower angle. The Mallards I busted last year took off almost exactly like pheasants.

I know the fun is in sitting there and calling...but I have cattle to feed every morning. My duck hunting now is done as I'm heading back to the barn and observe the ponds ��.
Pond hopping ducks is the only way I've ever shot them. Never had any decoys, or calls. Didn't know how to use them as nobody in my family hunted.
Buddy had an old man in his neighborhood that said he loved ducks to eat, so we would go to some of the big osage county ranches and kill him a limit every weekend or so when they were in season. He told us to just leave them on a bucket on his front porch. Bucket was always empty the next weekend.
After a couple of seasons, went to his place with a load of ducks, and there was a wreath on the front door with a bunch of cars around. It wasn't hard to figure out what happened so we just drove away.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry you had such a lack of birds. I’m sure you still had a good time nevertheless.
Oh ya we still had a blast. Was just not what was expected. And of course it was the time I take a friend and his son for his 18th birthday. They enjoyed it though they had never been to Oklahoma so it was brand new country for them. Will try again next year and hope for a few more birds.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I actually used to pheasant hunt quite a bit about 25 years ago. This wasn't too different, but they took off at a much faster and lower angle. The Mallards I busted last year took off almost exactly like pheasants.

I know the fun is in sitting there and calling...but I have cattle to feed every morning. My duck hunting now is done as I'm heading back to the barn and observe the ponds 😁.

Mallards, pintails, wigeon, gadwalls, teal, and shovelers are "puddle ducks" meaning they land and take off straight up and down. Canvasbacks, redheads, ringnecks, goldeneye, buffleheads, mergansers and all the sea duck species are "divers" the land and take off like an airplane, they need a runway in other words lol.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Oh ya we still had a blast. Was just not what was expected. And of course it was the time I take a friend and his son for his 18th birthday. They enjoyed it though they had never been to Oklahoma so it was brand new country for them. Will try again next year and hope for a few more birds.

We've not hunted since the 17th due to lack of birds, but there are some here again finally for the last 3 days of season.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We've not hunted since the 17th due to lack of birds, but there are some here again finally for the last 3 days of season.
One of our properties has a small finger of a large reservoir. Usually deer hunting our stands near the reservoir you can just hear ducks everywhere. One of the days we went there to jump shoot it there had to be a couple thousand wigeon piling into the place it was really cool to see they were dropping in by the hundreds. Naturally we set up to hunt there that evening and didn't see any of them. I think that was kind of the start of them pushing into the area.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts