Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There is a small elk herd that lives on private land just north of the Honobia WMA, and East of Clayton.

The old timers that have land around there have all seen them and tell me about them, but there is only one Instance where I "think" I saw one lone bull at night with a thermal. I did hear a cow elk call once out that way while I was hunting. They have a very distinct call.
I've heard that there's elk somewhere in the Ouachitas, but I've never been down there to confirm it.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
It would be cool just hearing one, I imagine any rancher out that way seeing one would see dollar signs. You hear anything about bears out your way?
Shoot come on out here and you can hear all the bugles and cow mews you want.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It would be cool just hearing one, I imagine any rancher out that way seeing one would see dollar signs. You hear anything about bears out your way?
I've found bear tracks once a few years ago on my place...was a smaller bear, guessing between 100-200lbs, but I'm not a black bear expert. Most of my neighbors have had 1-2 encounters with a black bear over the 30+ years they've lived here. They exist out this way, but aren't too common...like mountain lions.

A couple guys swear we have a few wolves this way too...but I'm a touch skeptical. I did have one wolf-looking huge dog on a trail camera at 0300 in the morning once. I've never seen a dog out at that time, and this thing was 4x the size of a coyote. We'll never know.

Of course; Bigfoot lives out this way too.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Them bar track look like these?

Bedrock Road surface Plant Grass Groundcover

People in nature Gesture Road surface Wood Asphalt

Road surface Asphalt Grass Bedrock Groundcover

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Reactions: retrieverman
21 - 32 of 32 Posts