Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I didn't make it out either. We might go trout fishing at lake pawhuska later today.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Well I'm not ending the season like I wanted as the wife is working and that leaves me with all 3 kids. The 2 oldest is one thing to take but my 5 year old can't be quiet if ya glued his mouth closed. We are taking a family trip down to the blue river tomorrow and do some trout fishing.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
We did well at Pawhuska lake for two days on the trout. Pics posted in the contest thread.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
I'll be hitting the blue river with OKherp tomorrow for trout.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that sounds pretty good! I need to go bait a hook myself... been so wrapped up in school and work, hunting has been the only thing I do in my spare time. Also gonna try to do some hog and predator hunting pretty quick too. Thinking about making a trip down to the refuge in Tishimingo, I have been down there and you can't go without seeing the pigs. The only problem is, the only allow bows, and non toxic shot in a shotgun, due to it being a national refuge. Haven't been able to find any non toxic slugs. Any opinions?

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
It might take a little research, but I think I read about some slug loads that use Barnes copper bullets.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Remington and Federal both sell solid copper sabot slugs in 12 or 20 gauge..
Thanks!

Sasakwa and I talked about this today, and wondered if slugs arent legal, even though they are from a shotgun, would some of the bigger shot that is non-toxic be capable of taking down a hog? At close range, yeah, but I don't hunt with non-toxic anything. All of my shot is toxic to everything! ;D (except for the couple of ducks I took this year with steel)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you had some good buck shot in a 12 gauge at close range (bow range) yea, then it would probably be lethal to a hog. I am really interested in hogs and always will be due to my raising of show hogs in younger years. I know a lot about them, and besides deer hunting, hog hunting is a close #2 to deer hunting.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
A slug from a 12 GA. or 20 GA will take them out big time. It is like shooting a .50 cal Muzzleloader taking them down. Try the slugs that Dennis and Sasakwa mentioned and you can't go wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts