Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that those of us that have hunted with the bow have had some misses on game in times past.
We need to hear about them.

I missed with my bow because...............

Last year, my first time at big Mac, It was perfect hunting weather. A slight drizzle, and 50 degree temps during the day.
I had been practicing a lot, and had either shaved some fletchings off, with other arrows, or drove them too far into the block and they came off.

I had never re-fletched any arrows before, and a co-worker that doesn't bow hunt any more, loaned me his fletcher and showed me how to do it.

Shot a couple of them and was good to go.

Put up a hang on and put some markers out for distance.

When I got into the stand the next morning a pope and young stopped not 30 yds away on some acorn rage I put out. It was a known distance, and let one fly. It went over the back of the buck. He ran off about 30 yds further and stood there looking around, and wandered off, never to be seen again.
Replayed the shot a million times in my mind, and could not figure out why.
Later on during regular bow season, was in the stand and noticed a tiny cut in the foot strap. I got out several of the bolts, and found that one of them just caught the edge of the strap as the broadhead edge was down. I have since used a dremmel tool to put a relief in the foot strap so that can't happen again.
2 more months, and maybe that big guy will walk by again

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Well we all know about me missing several turkles at point blank range so here's another. Waaay back when my old Darton hangar compound bow had the limbs start delaminating just before the season. A buddy loaned me a Bear compound bow. Shot it a couple of times and for me it shot left about a foot at 30yrds. Well I didn't want to mess up his sights, so I'd just compensate with a hold off.

Then one foggy still morning just down from my moms place, I was climbing up the tree steps to my stand and I could hear deer in the area. The light was just getting close to shooting light, but with the fog you could only see 10-15 yrds and I could see deer everywhere around me. DBRAR....draw, breath, relax, aim, release, easy pickin's I thought. But when I'd get on a dark outline of a deer another deer would walk in front of that one, so I'd aim at that one. Over and over this happened until I finally thought shoot one of these suckers! Did the DBRAR, relaxed the fingers like an Olympic archer would have been proud. Hum, no thump, well shoot again at another and another and another, still nothing. Shot six times and nothing and the deer just moseyed off. As the fog burned off I could see all 6 arrows in the ground with no blood. I'm thinking I'd seen the last deer of the morning and I pretty much sucked at shooting, when a nice 8 pointer comes right up to my 15yrd marker. I had one arrow left, drew back and concentrated like a champ, released and watched the arrow zip right under his tail to the left....yep, forgot to do the hold off. He ran off with a scratch across his rump and I laughed so hard I had to climb down get my arrows and go to the cafe and have breakfast. Still one of my favorite days on stand tho.

I've also have been drawn back following a walking doe and just as I let the release go a big tree jumped right in front of the arrow at 5 foot. Still don't know how that tree did that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Had a for sure shot a couple years ago. A real nice black tail buck. I pulled back on my compound and let the arrow go, the arrow did not even come close to him it went way in front of him. Buck was only about 30 yards away. Go figure. Then I realized I forgot to use the rear peep sight and used only the front sight. When that arrow went flying by him he spun around and ran like all get out. I never saw him again.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Wow looks like I need to bow hunt more. I'm 100% on my 2 deer that I've shot as well as the 3 fox.

Gauge did watch me blow a stalk on some jakes last fall but I never got a shot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bullbuster don't feel bad about blowing a stalk. I once put a stalk on a black bear only to realize it was a burnt log. My only excuse is when I spotted it it was in some thick brambrels and failing light conditions.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bullbuster don't feel bad about blowing a stalk. I once put a stalk on a black bear only to realize it was a burnt log. My only excuse is when I spotted it it was in some thick brambrels and failing light conditions.
HAHAHAA! Reminds me of when a couple of buddies and I were out back in my duck hunting days. We spotted a couple dozen ducks on the Arkansas river about 500 yds from kaw lake bridge we were sitting on. We bailed out of the truck, and put the sneak on them keeping a brush pile between them and us. We whispered instructions to each other to jump up at the count of three and blast them when they took off. At the count of two, we heard a voice in the brushpile say HEY! don't be shooting my decoys!
Yep, we were stalking decoys. ::) ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Then last two are down right funny I tell ya. ;D ;D ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts