Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all had a huge mama-jamma animal in our sights at one time or another, and completely missed it for one reason or another.
Inquiring minds want to know.

I missed with my rifle because.............

My epic miss was a doozy.
In my early hunting career, shotgun was the only thing I shot as there were not many deer, and I thought people that sat in trees should have their heads examined.(My, how that attitude has changed)

My first centerfire, after the military, was a Rem 742 Semi-auto in 30-06. Took up reloading after the first year as it was cheaper. Finally started developing some contacts, and with a couple of fork horns under my belt, was feeling really good about my deer hunting prowness, and accuracy with the Rem.
Met up with an old high school buddy that didn't hunt but was a ranch hand of a 22,000 acre ranch in Osage county. He said he had been seeing a big buck and took me out there.
I parked on top of a big ridge next to a pump jack. We got out and started walking the rim. This ridge was at a 45 degree or steeper angle and about 400 feet above the surrounding terrain.
We spotted a buck in a clearing. It was huge. By far the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild. Wide and tall. It was looking away, so I took a sitting position. Guesstimating it to be 250 yds away and downhill, I put the crosshairs on top of its back and pulled the trigger. He just stood there looking at us now. I was freaking out now, and thought it must be further, so I pulled another shot off. It still stood there. Tail twitching, looking at us. OK I have three more rounds! Started elevating 6" a shot and ran out!
Dropped another in the chamber and let the bolt slam home and he bolted, never to be seen again. I wanted to smash that gun against the nearest rock, but didn't.
My buddy couldn't stop laughing at me. That made it worse.
I went home and got out my Sierra reloading manual, and quickly found out about shooting down hill or uphill.
I should have put the first shot on his brisket, and it would have been on the wall.
I'm just a flatlander, and found a valuable lesson of shooting.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Well mine is a rather sad one and caused me all but sell my guns and call it quits.

I was Blacktail hunting in California's zone D-7 near Washon Lake. We had been hunting hard for two days seeing nothing but does and fawns. I decided to hike up the ridge behind camp while my buddy took a nap. I was following what looked to be fresh bear tracks up the ridge when 2 ATV riders came up and over the ridge and down an old washout road. I figured the hunt a bust so I started back to camp. I was walking along when I seen a fawn run past me on my left at about 40y. I froze waiting and looking for more deer. I take a couple steps and suddenly see a doe and small forked horn trotting up the ridgeabout 40y away as well. I bring my Rem 7mm Mag with 175g PSP to my shoulder and follow them. The buck is between me and the doe and they are about 5 feet appart I figured. I knew I needed to get a shot before I lost them. They are almost at a 90 degree to my left and doing a leap frog so to speak. I took a shot as I saw the buck pass by the doe. The recoil made me loose site of them. I looked and saw a deer flopping on the ground. I run up to the deer only to see its the doe. I was in total shock. What was I gonna do. You can't hunt doe in this zone. I looked and saw I hit her way forward in the left shoulder and it came out her chest. I was too scared to do anything and so I stood there watching her flop around for at least 5 minutes before she expired.
To rush the story along I did what I felt was right and got my buddy and we packed her as she was back to camp and I took her to a local store and called the GW. They showed up an hour later and gave me a ticket and took my only deer tag as well as the doe.
I went to court had the anti-hunter judge. He told me I was looking at 6 months in jail and a $2,500 fine and loss of license for 5 years. I was in total shock. I explained I was married with kids, military and couldn't go to jail and get more jail time in the brig when I got out.
Moving along more...
I went to court 6 times and had the GW speak highly on my behalf for turning myself in. She said she never would have issued the ticket if it wasn't for the trainee she had with her.
The judge said because I was military and knew what could and probably would happen to me he gave me 6 months probation and a $200 fine. I wanted to shout I was so happy.
6 months later..
At my final court date the judge said I was lucky to have gotten what I got and I agreed. He said I should just give it up and stop killing innocent animals.
During my 6 months probation I had actually lined up a buyer for all my guns and was gonna give the rest of my gear away to another friend. It was actually my wife that talked me out of it. Boy too bad for her I'm in too deep now.

I have done lots of growing up in the last 7 years sense that happened. I do everything in my power to be as safe as I can be. If I can't make the shot I pass. I'm still human and do make quick choices I regret. Had a close call last fall while out for ducks. I actually stopped hunting the rest of the day as I was so mad at myself.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good story! ;)
Ethical hunters are what makes hunting a sport I'm proud to be a participant.

I have one similar.

I was home for SE Asia on an emergency leave, as my dad had been in a power plant explosion, and was not expected to survive. Chopper picked me out of a rice paddy, and off I went.
Dad survived, so, with most of a 30 day leave ahead of me, some high school buddies wanted to go duck hunting at Kaw lake that had just been completed and was in the filling stage.
It was early teal season, and we shot three on the first flight that came in, only to realize they were mergansers.(didn't know this at the time)
No other ducks came by, and at 9am we left. Before leaving we got out a booklet that showed the ducks we had shot, were not teal.
We could have left the ducks and drove away, but I insisted on not wasting game.
GW was watching us from across the lake with a spotting scope.
When I saw him coming down the road, we decided to do the right thing and turn ourselves in, not knowing he had seen the whole thing come down.
He was pretty decent about it. We got a ticket, but it was the lowest fine he could write it for. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I shoot a Rem 742 Woodmaster Custom Deluxe, .30-06. I have it sighted in with 150 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. Last season, I was sitting at the base of a large oak tree overlooking a large clearing. I watched a doe step out of the treeline and graze in the field. I watched her for a while and realized she wasn't being followed by a buck, so I decided to go ahead and tag her. I didn't have my rangefinder with me (I usually only carry it for archery because I've never taken a shot over 120 yds), but I estimated her to be between 180-220 yds (acceptable range for the gun). I leveled and steadied my gun, aiming about 2" below her spine right behind her shoulder, and fired. She just stood there, looking around not know what was going on. I was puzzled, so I leveled and fired again. She ran about 30 yds, stopped, turned and came back to where she was standing still looking around. So I shot again. This time she slowly trotted away into the treeline. So I decided to go check for blood, and while I was walking I realized it was further than I estimated. During the time checking for blood, I heard her snort. When I looked up, I saw her about 70 yds from me, watching me with her tail held high. Then she turned and bolted. I took my rangefinder out there the following day, 308 yds. The bullet ballistics specs shows it drops 13.1 inches at 300yds, when sighted with 100 yd zero. I was shooting under her the whole time. This year, if it happens again, I'm going to aim about 6" above the shoulder, which should hit perfectly square.

Or maybe not take the shot at all! I would also like to sight in 150 yd zero.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
okherb- sight in for a 200 yard zero.
You will be only 1.5" high @ 100 yards & your hold for 300 yards will not be that of 2" high.

My 308 & ex 06 were & are both set this way with 150 grain bullets.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks Gauge!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Your welcome okherb.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shoot a Rem 742 Woodmaster Custom Deluxe, .30-06. I have it sighted in with 150 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. Last season, I was sitting at the base of a large oak tree overlooking a large clearing. I watched a doe step out of the treeline and graze in the field. I watched her for a while and realized she wasn't being followed by a buck, so I decided to go ahead and tag her. I didn't have my rangefinder with me (I usually only carry it for archery because I've never taken a shot over 120 yds), but I estimated her to be between 180-220 yds (acceptable range for the gun). I leveled and steadied my gun, aiming about 2" below her spine right behind her shoulder, and fired. She just stood there, looking around not know what was going on. I was puzzled, so I leveled and fired again. She ran about 30 yds, stopped, turned and came back to where she was standing still looking around. So I shot again. This time she slowly trotted away into the treeline. So I decided to go check for blood, and while I was walking I realized it was further than I estimated. During the time checking for blood, I heard her snort. When I looked up, I saw her about 70 yds from me, watching me with her tail held high. Then she turned and bolted. I took my rangefinder out there the following day, 308 yds. The bullet ballistics specs shows it drops 13.1 inches at 300yds, when sighted with 100 yd zero. I was shooting under her the whole time. This year, if it happens again, I'm going to aim about 6" above the shoulder, which should hit perfectly square.

Or maybe not take the shot at all! I would also like to sight in 150 yd zero.
Ok, I have to ask. What size group are you shooting at 100 yds. on paper.
I'm asking because I had a Rem 742 in
.06 caliber. I'm very familiar with that gun, and its problems.

·
Registered
840 Posts
As soon as I build a steady shooting bench, I'll tell you. I'm shooting 1" groups while leaning across a wobbly cable spool... ;)

I haven't noticed any real "problems" with it. It was my grandpa's gun. He died in 1988 and my dad took it over, then I have been using it for about 12 or so years. I took off the Bushnell Banner 1.75-4.25 and put on a Simmons 3-9x40. I've tried Federal Premium and Classic, Remington Core-lok, and Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. It shoots the Silvertips with more consistency. I can't decide if I should try Hornady.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As soon as I build a steady shooting bench, I'll tell you. I'm shooting 1" groups while leaning across a wobbly cable spool... ;)

I haven't noticed any real "problems" with it. It was my grandpa's gun. He died in 1988 and my dad took it over, then I have been using it for about 12 or so years. I took off the Bushnell Banner 1.75-4.25 and put on a Simmons 3-9x40. I've tried Federal Premium and Classic, Remington Core-lok, and Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. It shoots the Silvertips with more consistency. I can't decide if I should try Hornady.
I wouldn't touch a thing and I'd keep shooting the silvertips. 1" groups are outstanding with a 742. Most of them would be lucky to hold a 4-5" group.

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I tried sighting in with the Federals and Remingtons, it was all over the paper. Made me so mad. So when I found the Silvertips, I thought I would give them a try. Shot excellent, but they costed more.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
okherb:
I agree with Dennis.{ Don't touch a thing on that semi auto rifle.}
1" groups with a 742 or 7400 is great.
You should be able to achieve 300 yards with a good group size.
Stay with your set up & your ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts