Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went and set up 1 of my 2 bait sites this morning. Camera I put out 2 weeks ago showed 3 bears (1 worth looking at again and the other 2 are passes) had come in to check the fry oil I’d put out. Looks promising but only time will tell. Also got video of a bull moose and some mule deer on the pond.
D97969E2-0E91-4826-A63A-B80D1B9CC5DB.jpeg
1EB68E22-CA31-4F05-937B-595EC0828694.jpeg
823CEE91-5114-4E9D-8E8E-EA3D409261C4.jpeg
E3EDBBB5-7722-425D-ACE3-48AEB93E4C56.jpeg
0669D08B-6944-4CD7-9FA7-6E6128A91001.jpeg

Its 22y from blind location to barrel.
A10CCFA9-FBB5-484A-9553-7472855FD109.jpeg

Toby was my lookout for the trip (wife’s service dog).
62CEE535-E49F-48AE-AA39-36C0AA6F4694.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We shall see come Sunday when I near back up to check cams and add bait.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Good looking spot. Are moose legal?

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Does your house still smell like McDonalds after popping all that popcorn?
Great pictures.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good looking spot. Are moose legal?
Yes they are in this area however they are by draw only. This particular area has a tag quota of 20 tags between archery and gun, any moose and antlerless. Average preference point for draw is 23/24 points. In a nutshell it’s like trying to draw a bull elk tag at NWR in Lawton.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your house still smell like McDonalds after popping all that popcorn?
Great pictures.
Yes it did smell like French fries with a side of bacon in the house for several hours. I honestly think pooping it in used bacon grease and fry oil really adds to the flavor of the popcorn. You can certainly smell it and taste it on it, yes I’ve sampled it. It takes A LOT of popcorn to fill a 55g drum even when mixed with bread, donuts, dog & cat foot.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Yes they are in this area however they are by draw only. This particular area has a tag quota of 20 tags between archery and gun, any moose and antlerless. Average preference point for draw is 23/24 points. In a nutshell it’s like trying to draw a bull elk tag at NWR in Lawton.
Better start getting into the draw. Moose meat is better than elk I've been told.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better start getting into the draw. Moose meat is better than elk I've been told.
For whatever reason my moose video won’t load to YouTube and I don’t know another way to post it here. I need to start applying sooner than later.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
That's a good looking set up. I can't imagine how fast your heart would be pumping with a big bear 22yds away after all that hard work & time on the set up. Plus the fact that a bear could eat ya would get the heart rate up as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a good looking set up. I can't imagine how fast your heart would be pumping with a big bear 22yds away after all that hard work & time on the set up. Plus the fact that a bear could eat ya would get the heart rate up as well.
You know I’m not sure but by golly I sure wanna find out if my Fitbit can handle the stress of it. I’ve been trying to play it put in my head so if that shot comes and I tell myself “Don’t F this shot up”, I’ll be a bit calmer in the moment. I’ll have my pistol and bear spray along nevertheless.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Went by and checked cams and bait last night for today’s opener. Not a single hit on the bait after a week and the only bear on cam was trying to eat my camera (glad for bear boxes). Few MD bucks and a new stud bull moose. New logging operation kicked off across the canyon on the next ridge. Packed it up after 6 hours in below freezing temps and constant chain saw noise. Was also the archery elk and deer opener so lots of folks in the area as well.

Gonna go and fill my antelope tag tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Went by and checked cams and bait last night for today’s opener. Not a single hit on the bait after a week and the only bear on cam was trying to eat my camera (glad for bear boxes). Few MD bucks and a new stud bull moose. New logging operation kicked off across the canyon on the next ridge. Packed it up after 6 hours in below freezing temps and constant chain saw noise. Was also the archery elk and deer opener so lots of folks in the area as well.

Gonna go and fill my antelope tag tomorrow.
I do admire all the hunting choices y'all have up there!

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to go back in the morning after work and check cams and bait. I start a 12 day work stretch so no hunting for me for a bit anyway. Not sure why YouTube won’t let me load the videos of the bull moose I’ve been getting. Not sure of another way to load and post them.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Feeling long very discouraged right now. Baits been out since 8/25 and zero bears have found it. Only the pond cam had any new activity. Some elk cow & calf, mule deer and a momma bobcat with 2 kittens. That’s the 3rd time I’ve ever had bobcats on a cam. Supposed to get a very healthy dose of snow Tuesday so maybe that will help some.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
that has to be a bad feeling after all the work you've put into it.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I'd think that right now, there is a lot of natures goodness to snack on. But as soon as that starts to play out, your bait pile is going to be top shelf cuisine. Kind of like how deer won't hit a feeder when the acorns are falling.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No hard mast trees at all and I’ve found no berries anywhere. With the 8” of snow my bait area got today it may help but who knows. I may make another run on Friday if I get outta my class early enough. If not I’ll send my boys to check and swap SD cards. So far 3 of the 8 sow quota has been registered. That’s not much of a window.

Reactions: Bird (this time)
1 - 20 of 37 Posts