Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks like my fall bear seasons gonna be a bust. Oldest son went and pulled cards and checked baits for me tonight. Still no bear since putting out bait the 25th. Few mule deer does and bucks, couple cow elk and calf’s, lots of cattle and an endless supply of squirrels, chipmunks and Jays. As of 1400 yesterday the sow quota for my zone sits a 4/8 and the season's only been open 11 days now. I’ll go back and check next week but at this rate I’m not holding my breath.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My back is still so messed up that I don’t think I could hike the 1.5 miles in with no gear in tow. Couldn’t imagine trying it with gear in tow. I’ll find a way to go back Wednesday or Thursday to check cams at least. Kids antelope season starts Wednesday so we are going Friday after school and Saturday.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
My back is still so messed up that I don’t think I could hike the 1.5 miles in with no gear in tow. Couldn’t imagine trying it with gear in tow. I’ll find a way to go back Wednesday or Thursday to check cams at least. Kids antelope season starts Wednesday so we are going Friday after school and Saturday.
Good luck to the kids on the speed goat hunt!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I’m gonna try and film the kids hunts if possible.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Good things come to those who wait I guess. FINALLY got some hits on the baits after nearly 3 weeks, mostly sows with cubs. Took my youngest boy with me Wednesday night to go check cams and baits. Walked in on a sow and cub at the bait. We watched for a bit before I pushed them off, I'm baiting for boars not single mothers. Momma ran off and cub ran up the tree. Momma was making all sorts of racket to scare me off. Cub was making a fuss up in the tree as well. Turn sound on and up when you watch the videos.
Boy and I went back yesterday for an all day sit. The same sow and cub came in about 0945. Cub stayed on the bait for a good 45 minutes. Momma never went to the bait. She hung back and decided to take a nap about 15' behind our blind, and directly down wind at that. I learned that bears do snore when they sleep. I wished I could have gotten some audio of that. She then just up and left while her cub remained on the bait. Cub did walk up to within 10 yards of the blind before his bear senses kicked in that he should turn back. Had no more bears come in.
My youngest got to see his first bears in the wild and hear them as well. Saw his old man, that's me, do a "Don't try this at home because I'm stupid" moment when I walked up to the tree the cub was in to film him. Momma wasn't the least bit happy with me for that.
Taking the oldest boy tomorrow with me. Hope to get him his first bear sighting as well.

https://youtu.be/4bEvxVqXpKQ
https://youtu.be/foQDZsyasho
https://youtu.be/vTlJh3U17ps
https://youtu.be/bJcQAuGBSLE

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Few still pics..

Hit a sage grouse with my truck yesterday morning while headed to bear hunt. Not how I wanted to get my 1st one. Nothing salvageable meat wise. Breast bone was crushed like sand throughout the meat.
E46146F2-B628-4324-B066-402EA4D0B017.jpeg
29A6C974-0C33-4D64-86B2-B658A70F22D5.jpeg

Bear pics..
D713644F-E83C-4E14-97DC-F46F62EE8B0F.jpeg
1C3AB1D8-A28C-4CCE-9546-824F36E9EF2C.jpeg
942D0980-A21F-49D0-923A-CB6CA1B3B6A1.jpeg

Raptor at bait catching chipmunks and squirrels.
796EEB85-95CB-45D7-B0B7-2F805271BD2F.jpeg

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Cool pics and videos!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Awesome! I hate saying I told you so..
So I'll just hint to a response I posted to this thread a few days ago!
How many points do we get for the bird fellas!?! We're winning already haha

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Awesome! I hate saying I told you so..
So I'll just hint to a response I posted to this thread a few days ago!
How many points do we get for the bird fellas!?! We're winning already haha
I’ve got my antelope for points as well.
I’m gonna suck down some pain meds tomorrow and make another all day sit on the bait with my son. Popped up 2-35 gallon trash bags of my special popcorn blend tonight. Should fill the 55 gallon drum nicely.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well that’s a rap for my fall baiting season. Got a notice from the wildlife department while sitting in the blind that the sow quota for my areas been met and now that zones closed. Had to pack it up and come on home. Can still try and fill my tag but it won’t be over bait and will need to be in an open zone.

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sorry you didn’t get one on bait buddy
I did put crosshairs on a bear twice but wasn’t going to shoot a sow or a cub.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts