Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any alternatives to corn? $12 a bag down here. . . I have heard about people using sweet feed in their feeders... I thought about half corn half sweet feed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Sweet feed should work, but you might go to a mill/feed store and see about getting corn by the bulk. Get some plastic barrels and buy a ton. A lot cheaper that way.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I know I'm going to turn the feeders down. Corn prices are insane.
I've never mixed sweet feed with corn in a feeder.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Most sweet feed is higher than corn. Stillwater Mill had whole corn for I believe 10 dollars for 50 pounds the other day. My neighbor still has some bulk in the bins that I plan on checking on.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
The 50# bags of quality deer deer corm goes for $9 and change and the natural select cracked corn 50# goes for like $7 and change at the Lumber 2 I work at. Been selling the crud out of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of y'all are farther North then I am. Less corn production down here equals higher prices... cheapest I found was $12. I would LOVE corn at $9. That's manageable.$12 is killing me lol.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The 50# bags of quality deer deer corm goes for and change and the natural select cracked corn 50# goes for like and change at the Lumber 2 I work at. Been selling the crud out of it.
I guess I should start buying my calf feed from the lumber yard instead of the feed store. Cracked corn cost me 20.80 a hundred just last week.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Was at Wally world this morning and saw it for $9. I believe it was also a 50# bag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
we bought 55 gallon barrels and took them to the feed store and had them fill them up with corn. its cheaper that way.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Bull, are u at the Lumber 2 at 240/sooner? I know the folks that own it. 7$ is real cheap for corn. I need to come visit u.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Just got my trailer emptied of split wood, so I'm getting ready to chump up and get a ton or so of corn dropped into it. Dreading the bill.
In years past, I've ran 5 feeders. This year I'll be running two.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Yes that is the store I work at. I work out in the yard loading up customers. However I'm not working this little stretch of time I'm home as I have a ton of stuff to get done around here before I deploy. Just tell them Steve sent you. Tim, Kevin, James, Tony or Josh will load you up. Barn 2 is where you gotta go after paying inside of course lol. I live just up the road off 44th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts