Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some bucks on camera this year. Not sure either are shooters, but the cool thing is that they are about 30 yards from my stand. Maybe theiry grandpa will come by when season opens!

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
It's a start and a good signe that u at least have bucks in the area. Some deer is better than none.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Those big boys start traveling at rut, so no telling what is going to show up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those big boys start traveling at rut, so no telling what is going to show up.
Thats what I'm hoping for. I saw a big one (guessing 150s) in that same general area last year during the last week of rifle season. I may start putting a little snack out for them once it gets closer to season.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The 3 does ive been getting behind my house on camera turned out to be 2 does and a small buck + 1 fawn.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If youll notice the little tree in the center. It has Baga-r- bucks hanging on it. They are burlap bags with mineral stuff in it. They are activated by moisture, rain/dew. The deer seem to like them. I got them from sportsmans guide last season just to try them. Gonna get some more, these are almost used up. You can get 1, 2, or 3 pack.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Thats interesting.
never seen those before.

I don't have any luck with minerals or salt blocks around my hunting area. I've tried them all,but they get ignored. My buddy uses the deer cocain in Osage county, and they tear up the ground getting to it.

I'm thinking the soil, and forbs have enough minerals in them that the deer get their fill without the supplements.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I've never had any luck with em either. Til I tried these

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I used the sugar beats last year and no matter where I put it out they completely hoofed up the ground. You would think it was a big scrape except no tree near by. I saw many deer on it before daylight. I could smell it 110+y down wind so I placed it in areas the wind typically blew into thick areas. I also tried the apple block but I don't think it did any good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used deer cane last year and they really did not touch it. I also used cattle mineral from atwoods and they tore it up. I put some more of it out this year but either the cam or the SD card screwed up and I had zero pictures from it.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Bull, where did you get the sugar beets?
I was up around chicago several years back just before their season, and saw dozens of pickups and trailers loaded with sugar beets, headed out to the woods.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Did y'all see the new baiting regs?

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
It was believe it or not the purple bag they sell at Wally world of sugar beet. I gave gage a bag but not sure if he used it or not. I always had hits within 24 hours as I never put it out unless I was hunting the next morning but I'm sure it would be a great thing to try in front of a camera. That deer I got last fall at the Grady County WMA (the first deer to be harvested off that new WMA :) ) I shot not more than 30-40 feet from a spot that I had had some out which had already been devoured.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Yes and it's garbage if you ask me. No baiting of any kind on public land. I can understand if your dumping hundreds of pounds of corn and such but a mineral lick or as I used last year a bag of sugar beet in a powder form should be just fine. Only thing it's going to really do is keep more deer on private land where baiting is allowed. Which many land owners and hunt clubs will be happy about.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts