Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting the xbow for a couple of days now, and its been shooting everywhere. I can't keep a 12" group.
Up, down, no rhyme or reason.

Was loading another bolt, and noticed a slight cut in the stirrup. (part where one puts their foot to cock it.)
All of a sudden it dawned on me that during the last day of the special deer season in Jan, the stirrup came loose and was making noise when walking in.
Took it off, and put it in the back pack.

Later, put it back on and put it on the shelf for next year.

Danged if I didn't put the stirrup on upside down that allowed one of the broadhead blades to make a little contact.

took it off, and turned it over, problem solved. I've been pulling my hair out for a week!

50 yard shot, and yes that is the bull that was being shot. I can hold a 3" group at that range.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Well glad ya figured it out. It's a funny story we will enjoy laughing about. But nevertheless glad it was a simple fix and nothing major.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Stuff just like that is what kept me from getting a muzzel loader for so long, had enuff stuff go wrong archery hunting. Couldn't stand the thought of something else driving me crazy!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stuff just like that is what kept me from getting a muzzel loader for so long, had enuff stuff go wrong archery hunting. Couldn't stand the thought of something else driving me crazy!
Yeah mz is a different animal. I started out with a Thompson Center Hawken and couldn't hit the side of a barn with it.
(little did I know at the time, it was a round ball gun and i was shooting conical bullets.)
That makes a whole world of difference. Didn't have the internet to use as a resourse, and like everything else in my hunting life, I've had no mentor, and had to learn all of this crap on my own.

Now, with the internet at your finger tips, the folks now have a much easier time getting information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been thinking about a crossbow, probably take me until next archery season to figure out which one to buy. Any tips when picking one?

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tip would be to save up and buy a good one that is the fastest. I have the recurve style Excaliber Equinox that runs 350 fps. My buddy has the compound style(can't remember the brand) that runs 360 fps. We both bought the kit from the manufacturer, (scope, bolts, broadheads, etc) so it should be factory tested.
The recurve style can be restrung in the field should a string break, where the compound style will require a bow press. Having a string break or jump off is rare, but it does happen. A guy on another forum was in panic mode last Friday night looking for a press, as his compound limb hit a tree limb when it was fired, which caused the string to jump off. He was leaving for an out of state hunt the next morning.
Optics are very important. Mine is adjustable for arrow speed, and has dots inside for ranges out to 50 yds. My buddies has the dots but is not adjustable.
Another friend shoots a red dot only.
They can also be set up with pins like vertical bows if one is going to a state that doesn't allow optics.
The bolts cannot be mixed with different brands or fletching lengths, just like vertical bows, as the POI will change.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Plus the recurve style has no mechanical moving parts like cams and such to make noise.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The compound models are easier to get through the woods, and transport in a vehicle. 90% of all Xbows are compound models.
Best thing is to get with some folks that have them and shoot different ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been thinking about a crossbow, probably take me until next archery season to figure out which one to buy. Any tips when picking one?
I just bought a crossbow a few weeks ago. I recently moved onto some acreage and have quite a few deer coming to my feeders so I thought I should give bow hunting a try so I could extend the season a bit over just gun. I went to Heartland Outdoors in Edmond and the guy suggested I buy a crossbow since I wanted to hunt this year. He thought I would need more practice time with a regular bow.

I bought a Barnett Ghost 350 and have been really pleased. One thing I did hate about it though is the cranking handle option. I think the rope is easier and the parts that stay attached to the bow when using the cranking handle tend to make noise in the woods. I'm also not sure about the scope. I have killed two does with it, so it works, but I also had to pass on what should've been an easy shot on a nice buck because the scope didn't gather enough light for me to see him. I could see well enough with my eyes but every time I looked through the scope I couldn't see him. Really frustrating. I may put the Nikon or Leupold crossbow scope on it for next year and see if they gather light any better.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
If you afford to put a new one on now why not do it. To re zero it won't take long at all and it could mean the difference this season in getting that buck.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of those xbow scopes leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I probably should but I'm spending quite a bit on corn and other crap. I'm also not sure which scope I want. The Nikon is half the price of the Leupold. Haven't seen many reviews on either. Next year I will be better prepared with a nice food plot. This crossbow thing has me hooked. I will still hunt with my rifle but I don't know that I will be as excited as I am with the crossbow.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I probably should but I'm spending quite a bit on corn and other crap. I'm also not sure which scope I want. The Nikon is half the price of the Leupold. Haven't seen many reviews on either. Next year I will be better prepared with a nice food plot. This crossbow thing has me hooked. I will still hunt with my rifle but I don't know that I will be as excited as I am with the crossbow.
Yeah, I love mine. I bought the excaliber scope that is designed for that particular xbow. The glass sucks, but the elevation graduations are spot on. The glass sucks compared to rifle glass. It kind of weird. 4X fixed power, and its kind of out of focus around the edges, but crystal clear at the crosshairs, and the elevation graduations. It works, so I'm sticking with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts