Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately it all went downhill after that 馃槅. Had a 3-7 MPH crosswind too.
Bird Font Cloud Handwriting Art

I'd say the barrel had potential, but I'm getting significant primer cratering once the charge weights go up. Will probably have to bush the firing pin at the expense of some lost headspace.

Either that or shoot this rifle in the slow lane.

Administrator
Interesting cartridge. The short fat cases are showing their potential with larger capacity powder charges and higher velocities.
Is it short enough to fit the AR-15 platform?

Reactions: diggler1833

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting cartridge. The short fat cases are showing their potential with larger capacity powder charges and higher velocities.
Is it short enough to fit the AR-15 platform?
Unfortunately no. Really this is just the 6.5 CM, minus about .100" (about 3gr H2O capacity) and optimized a touch more for target shooting. The Lapua brass is designed so that guys can get stupid crazy with pressure...and some do. 2779 with a 120gr bullet is no slouch. The two shots that I took prior to calling it quits were in the 2880 range...and I still had one more charge weight to go up. It is pretty common to see guys pushing 2900+ with the 123gr class bullets.

Now I have to pull 8 rounds. Guess I have my fouling rounds identified for when I scrub both barrels.

It is a purpose built cartridge, designed to win 300-600 yard matches about 20 years ago. It excels in that realm. Surprisingly, it even came out before the 6.5 Manbun.

This biggest problem with the 6.5x47L is that many rebarreling jobs (like my two) are done on .308 rifles. The higher pressures often cause the primers to flow back into the firing pin holes. It is a relatively simple fix for a competent gunsmith by drilling out the bolt face and adding a sleeve...but if you do it AFTER you have already chambered a barrel, you can figure adding another .001" to your headspace.

Super Moderator
Can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e even heard of that round. Seems the 6.5 has a lot of variants these days. Still a nice group.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess when you shoot groups like that any amount of wind can affect it?
A 5 MPH wind at 100 yards is good for about 1/3 inch. That doesn't sound like much, until your comparing groups that are about...1/3 inch 馃槃.

I tried to shoot when the wind seemed consistent downrange. My biggest problem is that I shoot from inside my shop, so I don't feel anything from about 270 degrees if there is a shift.

Basically you look through the scope with your dominant eye and check conditions with the other right up until you start the squeeze. Longer ranges you're reading whatever conditions yiu can through the scope. Right now it's mowed grass (cows) and bare branches...kind of hard to get an accurate reading.

Round 2: I'll try that group again, along with jumping .005" in a couple directions either way next time it is pretty calm. Winds were full value R to L at 3-7 when I was shooting, so I figured I'd have a little horizontal spread.

Round 3: I'll shoot five shots again of whatever load shot best to verify, and then five more rounds a little further out (250-385) to verify it holds up downrange.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e even heard of that round. Seems the 6.5 has a lot of variants these days. Still a nice group.
It has been around since 2005 (two years before the Manbun). However, if you aren't into target shooting at distance it is easy to have never heard of it.

The Creedmoor gives almost as much accuracy potential (if you aren't a benchrest guy), a bit more velocity with less pressure, and was "American made" and hit the ground running with factory support. It isn't hard to see why it caught on more. The 6.5x47L is much more of an aficionado cartridge.

However, the success of the Creedmoor is killing off the little 6.5x47L. Even Lapua (whose name is in the freaking cartridge) announced recently that they are suspending production of 6.5x47L brass. You can still get Peterson brass for it though (high quality).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mornings usually aren't too bad around here. Blows pretty hard in the afternoon, and then calms down at night. This is about 75% of the days. Usually can expect 2-4 MPH until about 10, 3-10 most afternoons, and 3-5 in the evenings and nights. Obviously as fronts come and go things pick up considerably.

The problem with this area is that the wind will blow in all directions, switching every 30 seconds...absolutely unpredictable as can be. It is one of the main reasons why I like to rifle hunt a couple hundred yards away from where I expect to see deer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts