Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Youngest boy and I hit up a couple lakes today. First was a dude but had about 4” of good ice. Hit up another I’d been wanting to hit for along time now. Ice wasn’t at thick as I was wanting. Was 2-4” and snap, crackling and a popping like crazy. Boy and in popped a couple holes in about 17’ of water. Started marking a few fish but no takers. About 30 min into the sit a crack several hundred feet long suddenly appeared. Crack passed 3’ in front of me and right through the holes I’d made. The ice was about 2” is all. Water stared oozing up onto the ice and the side I was on started to sink some. I grabbed up my 2 rods and holders and took 2 steps and the ice gave way under me. Next thing I know I’m arm pit deep through the ice in 17’ of water. My son run and grabby the 100’ safety rope I carry to toss it to me. I was able to pull myself up and out without it. He did a mad dash to round up the gear as I headed for the truck. Was a good 300+ yards back to the truck. I was hugging the shoreline and walking at a fast clip following our tracks when I hit yet another soft spot and went into the drink again. Lucky for me I was 3’ off the shore and it was only knee deep. Once back at the truck my boy had to help me get my bibs and jeans off. My jacket and gloves were already freezing and getting stuff. Socks and boots soaked as well. Drove the 40 miles home in my undershirt and long johns lol. My boots were 2 ice blocks and my bibs were frozen stiff as well.
I’m gonna wait awhile longer before I try and walk on water again, frozen or not.

Sky Cloud Snow Slope Ice cap

Glove Water Freezing Snow Landscape

Sky Cloud Slope Ice cap Snow

Automotive tire Natural environment Snow Tire Freezing

Asphalt Water Sky People in nature Sea ice

Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Road surface

Sky Natural landscape Mountain Slope Freezing

Snow Freezing Natural landscape Plant Bedrock

Wood Trunk Art Automotive tire Sculpture

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap! After last years experience I’d think the ice fishing would take place a little later when it gets thicker.
That was a good 8” of ice that broke free last year. I was about 6” too eager this time LOL. I’ve gone over this sorta thing in my head a million times. Now that it happened I was able to stay calm and collective the whole time.
Shoulda figured after the week I had something messed up like this would happen. Just my scat kinda luck.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My grandmother's sister (great aunt, I know) fell through the ice in 1936 when they were skating on a small local lake with the other kids. She was 12 and unfortunately didn't make it. My grandmother was 10 at the time and was there when it happened. I guess her sister gasped from the freezing water and that was about all it took to fill her up with water and drown her before anybody could get to her.

I grew up hearing that story from my grandmother. I imagine it left a pretty traumatic impression. As such, even with very little experience on frozen water I am probably overly cautious.

Glad you made it back home still upright.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After last years incident I’m overly cautious. It was a freak sudden thing. I’m glad my son was not by me at he time and was a safe distance away. Having the thick layers I had on I don’t really recall the cold shock. My bibs were freezing solid by time I got back to my truck.
Lives get lost every winter here on the ice. Most are from driving snow machines, ATVs or vehicles on the ice and they bust through.

• Sad
Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
I remember a story a long time ago in a magazine where someone fell through the ice. Getting back up on to solid ice is the issue, and I'm glad you got it done alone, but with heavy boots and clothes sometimes that's not possible.
What I saw for an ice fishing tip was the guys had screwdrivers cut off short like an inch or so with points on them and hung around their neck so they could use them to grab the ice and pull themselves up.
You got lucky.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember a story a long time ago in a magazine where someone fell through the ice. Getting back up on to solid ice is the issue, and I'm glad you got it done alone, but with heavy boots and clothes sometimes that's not possible.
What I saw for an ice fishing tip was the guys had screwdrivers cut off short like an inch or so with points on them and hung around their neck so they could use them to grab the ice and pull themselves up.
You got lucky.
I have 3 sets of those ice spikes for just such an occasion. I always have them around my neck when fishing and so do my boys. I had all 3 set in the top pocket of the tackle box 15’ away from me. Don’t know why I didn’t have them on or why I didn’t even think about them. I count my blessings and was certainly being watched out for. Lots of lessons learned in my time here and so far none have killed me. Not that I wanna test anymore theories or 9 lives out.
My right thumb was hurting me bad last night. Couldn’t sleep very well and after church I went to the ER. Seems I have a hairline fracture on my middle thumb joint. Same place I messed up back in February at work. I’ve got a handy dandy new splint on my hand for awhile. Work should be fun tomorrow.
Body jewelry Circuit component Jewellery Font Electric blue

Hand Blue Glove Tire Automotive tire

Blue Sleeve Hood Grey Jersey

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?
But if you do it differently each time then it’s not insanity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts