Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going on my first yote hunt in a few weeks. Would like some advice on how to call, like do howl first and then go the rabbit calls? Are the calls important to sound real like in turkey hunting or will any thing bring them in? Are the electronic calls worth the money?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Personally I've never called one in. I have an electronic call, and a remote call decoy, and just never have the time to go after them. I have used a mouth call, but it has only brought in one bobcat. I need to learn some more too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, I'm certainly not a varmint caller but I have owned one of the electronic calls in the past..I believe it was a wind river wireless remote control call..Never got anything to come in. I gave it back to Cabela's on the 30th day and just started going with my son and grandson. All they use are the mouth calls and are both quite sucessful..Most of the time they will do the howl first..when they start answering then they will start the rabbit or whatever..Lots of times they will come in when the howling starts..Once again, I am not a varmint hunter...I just tag along with my boys at times..but if I was going to tell someone a few pointers it would be...Most of the coyotes will be called the first hour of daylight and the last hour of daylight...camo is very important...wind is even more important..and even thou you know there are coyotes in the area...they just don't want to come out and play everytime you do...You may go several times in a row and not see anything and then all at once every set up will produce a varmint..The last thing I can say is it really makes you feel good to see something as smart as a coyote come to you just so you can send him to doggy heaven...go out..have a good time...don't get discouraged and I promise the first one you get you'll feel really good...Keep us informed..Sasakwa ;D

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just talked to my son and he said he tries to do one series of calls about every 3 to 5 minutes...He said a series was about 45 seconds..always starting out kind of low in case there is one close and then have the series get louder with time...another thing that is kind of handy is a good set of shooting sticks..simply cause he does most of his calling setting on the ground..with a good set of sticks and your back leaning against something solid, such as a tree or big rock...it is possible to hold nearly as still as shooting from a bench..his sticks are really easy and cheap to build...You can go to a web site called VarmintAl.com and see what he calls his fur bipods...They work really good and all it takes is a couple of small 1 x 1 sticks..a couple of nails and a piece of leather..we use a tongue out of an old boot..anyway...Good luck my friend....Sasakwa

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know about in Ok but in Or we are alowed to hunt over bait for yotes. I hang some half frozen meat on a meat hook and drag it behind me to were I plan to hunt.I then drag it around the area and hang it in a tree about 5 or so feet in the air. Gets the scent in the air and by dragging it on the ground it gives them something to trail. I personally get in an elevated position above the meat and start calling in with a rabbit distress or bird distress call 30 to 45 second sessions every 3 to 5 minutes. Usually they come in pretty hard and fast. If your hunting the ground be sure to watch your back. Ive had them come over a boulder I was leaning against heading to the meat. Talk about a pucker moment. Make sure gun is ready to fire before you start calling. Sometimes they might already be hot on the trail before you even get the call to your mouth. Safety tip. Call with your off hand so your trigger hand is at the ready. Get some Camo that matches the area. I use a ghillie suit. Yotes can see you a mile away if your not covered up. Good luck to you

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
All the best to ya on your yote hunt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow guys thanks for the advice, I'm going in two weeks to where we went deer hunting. We heard them all around us in the mornings, will let you guys know how we do!!!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
We look forward to it BA hunter.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I called mine in with my Western Rivers remote caller. Stuck it down inside a brush pile. Ill turn it on for a few minutes and then wait about 10 before I turn it back on. Fixing to get a remote decoy for it.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I called mine in with my Western Rivers remote caller. Stuck it down inside a brush pile. Ill turn it on for a few minutes and then wait about 10 before I turn it back on. Fixing to get a remote decoy for it.
Thats the one I have, and do have the remote decoy....just need to get it out. :'(

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Does the remote decoy work pretty good Dennis?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The "It" by Primos & Mojo's work well for yotes. Decoys.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Does the remote decoy work pretty good Dennis?
Yes it works pretty good. It doesn't flop around a lot, but it does sway back and forth and the tail moved a lot. Its also controlled from the remote on the western rivers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a johnny stewart prey master and called n a couple wit it. but my favorite calls r lohman circle mouth calls I have called in a lot wit these. good luck on ur hunt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts