Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Fishing the Salt Fork

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Bear Sits In The Woods 
#1 ·
I came up to my OK place on Monday to fill feeders and check trail cams, but I took a little time the last couple days to wet a hook in the river. My youngest son was up a few weeks ago and did really well. My luck wasn’t as good as his, but I still had a good time.

See less See more
#4 ·
When catching channel cats, I typically soak them in saltwater for a couple of days. Helps to remove blood and whiten the fish. Catching them on the Salty fork of the Arkansas river must make for some pretty good eating.

Reactions: retrieverman
#7 ·
I’m using Bill’s stink bait.
I live about 400 miles away and only make it up about once a month, so when I get here, I have a list of chores that have to get done, but now I’m making at least a little time to hit the river. The last trip up I spent over 20 hours on the tractor mowing but too enough time to catch and clean two cats before heading home. 🤷‍♂️

#9 ·
Set some limb lines or a trot line to soak while you work.

#11 ·
None of that’s legal here. I’d love to run some jug lines for some of these big lake trout.

#14 ·
I got one on a jug line a few years back at Lake Thunderbird. It was dead when I pulled it up. Wasn’t but 6” across the shell.

Reactions: retrieverman
#17 ·
Yes sir, Bill’s stink bait was on the menu again. My youngest son is the duck hunter and has had pretty good luck on the river, but it’s pretty low right now. I didn’t see any ducks yesterday, but I only fished a small area. All the “wetlands” around here are dry right now, so even with the river being low, it still could be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.