Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from our annual trout fishing trip to Lake tanneycomo Mo.
They had major rains last week, so the water was stained, and running like crazy. Day one was the best, catching and releasing about 20 or so. The next three days, they increased the flow even more,and I had to resort to using a boat, and spinning gear. Caught some really nice fish, but not very many. Worst thing, I had my camera along, but the battery's died on the first day, and we forgot to take the charger.

I did catch a duck. The current was moving me down a bank pretty quick, so I threw my rapala into an eddy behind a rock, and got a hit. I got it to the boat, and it was some kind of duck :eek: He must have been diving and saw my lure come by and nabbed it. I've never seen one like this. It was small, and totally brown. It was a little angry with me while getting the treble hook out of his bill, but, when I put him back in the water, he dove right back into the water instead of flying off. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis,Sounds like you caught a grebe.
Which is not a duck.Totally different species.

Looks like ya had another fun trip.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I related this story to a guy at work, and he called it a mud hen? I always thought mud hens were the ones on the lake that were black with an orange bill, but he called them coots.
This duck was about the size of a pidgon and brown. Rarely flies according to him.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Yep..a greb.
Coots are black with white bills & Gallinues have the orange bills.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info! Thanks ;D

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I forgot to mention that last year when we were there, they found a trout dead at their dock.
It was huge. They got it out, and had it weighed on certified scales, and then had it sent off to be mounted.
The bad part is that my camera batteries were dead(like a dummy I forgot about my cell phone camera) and they got the mount back the day we were leaving.
It was a rainbow trout that weighed 45lbs dead. Had that trout been alive and caught on rod and reel, it would have been a world record. They have some really big trout in Lake Tanneycomo.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Man O' Man that's a Rainbow.
Caught one in New Zeland that went 23 1/2.
They truly got some whoppers over their..Browns & Rainbows that average 17-20 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Love to catch one that big on a fly rod or ulta light tackle.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wonder how many people hooked him with some sort of snoopy rod or something and he snapped their line like it didn't exist.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I lost one of them Micky Mouse kiddy rods to a fish once. Took the whole darn thing with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.