Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’m really wanting to get into fly fishing! If anyone has any equipment or supplies they’re wanting to get rid of please message me. Also, feel free to give any beginner tips, thanks!

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Be careful, fly fishing can become extremely addicting.
You wallet will suffer. Lol
Watch lots of YouTube videos for two reasons. One to learn the techniques and the other to learn the lingo. It’s like a different language almost.

What are you going to target? Pond fishing or trout?
Typically most start out with a 5wt rod that is 9-9.5’ long. A 4 piece rod will break down into a compact carry case.
Check prices on new rods like Gloomis, Sage, Orvis, etc then start hitting pawn shops and garage sales for rods and reels.
I recently picked up a $400 Gloomis 3wt rod and a $150 waterworks lampsom reel for $55 at an estate sale.
If you want to buy new, Temple Fork Outfitters makes an affordable fly rod that won’t break the bank yet gets good reviews from the experts.
Lifetime guarantee that’s legit. I snagged a limb on a back cast in Colorado last year breaking off 6” of the tip. Sent it in and got a replacement rod for $35 to cover shipping and handling.
Wish you were closer, I’d let you throw some of mine to get a feel of what to expect.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
My boys are getting into fly fishing. I got them a combo rod/ reel set from online for around $50 and I think it was from Academy. I’ve ordered several packs of flys, nymphs and streamers from amazon as well. Have a buddy that teaches fly tying classes and he set my boys each up some local patterns and all 3 of us will free casting lessons. The roll cast seems to be a great one to start with.

Dennis is right about YouTube. we’ve watched dozens of “How to” videos and I even picked up a fly fishing for dummies book.

As far as getting used gear, check out the app letgo, Facebook marketplace (and all the other local selling pages), Craig’s list and pawn shops.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Thanks for the tips and brand names to look out for! And I’m mainly targeting trout since I live near a river that gets stocked for trout each year.
Which river is that?

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
What kinda of of equipment and what specie of fish is he targeting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts