Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My winter oats have basically refused to come up, but I don't blame them due to the drought.

I top-covered everything with 100lbs of cereal rye last week when we were supposed to get all this rain...and we got .4".

Still, I have some brassicas coming up. Mostly purple top turnip is the only thing ankle height...the forage turnip isn't doing well at all.

However, I’ve started to have deer hit it...just two does and a fawn, but it is more than nothing. Since they found it,, they've been in camera morning and evening, so im thinking that they're bedding in the woods behind. Will take a bit more interest in hunting it in another couple weeks.

Plant Sky Plant community Green Tree

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
I don't put in a food plot for myself having planted clover for a perineal plot several years ago. It went dormant with the drought. We only got .250" from this last rain. I drove over today and there was still nothing coming back to life. The rain couldn't get deep enough to the clover roots.
Thinking ahead if the drought killed it, I ordered two lbs of Ladino Clover that was delivered today for a replant if necessary. Won't be good until next year, but I still have does coming to one feeder.
I changed to Spartan Cell cameras last year. One cam was getting constant motion alerts but never an animal. So, today while checking the other feeder, went to look at this cam. It appears it was aimed too high as the ground around the feeder looked like a feed lot with deer tracks. Lowered the focus area of the cam, and I'm getting tons of little bucks, does and now raccoons. About 30 pics of raccoons tonight alone.
Time to get out the cooncuffs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our plots are basically dead, more deer on the weeds around the plot than in the plot, but only after dark.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I checked the only camera I have on it again today, a doe and two fawns/yearlings went through it about midnight.

However I did see two does and a fawn run off from there at 0950 this morning when I fired up my Ranger. Very odd to see them lumber through an open pasture about 275 yards from the house.

This was in the opposite direction of expected deer traffic. Maybe more deer found it. If that is the case, what little i have there will be gone by gun season.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
I checked the only camera I have on it again today, a doe and two fawns/yearlings went through it about midnight.

However I did see two does and a fawn run off from there at 0950 this morning when I fired up my Ranger. Very odd to see them lumber through an open pasture about 275 yards from the house.

This was in the opposite direction of expected deer traffic. Maybe more deer found it. If that is the case, what little i have there will be gone by gun season.
The guy leasing our farms planted a 1/4 section of beans in one field.
Driving by there I saw where they are entering the field.
I just happen to have a blind to the right of the pic about 150 yards away.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
It’s hard to tell Dennis if that’s a well used trail or not. It looks like one big hoof print to me.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy leasing our farms planted a 1/4 section of beans in one field.
Driving by there I saw where they are entering the field.
I just happen to have a blind to the right of the pic about 150 yards away.

Looks like a pretty sure spot.

My plot went unnoticed for so long, that it is going to take some time to pattern. I did put out a mock scrape and licking vine on one of the old trails leading to the plot. Just so happens that I can see that pretty well from across the plot (rifle season).

·
Registered
279 Posts
After the rain last week and seeing more in the forecast for next week, I’m really wishing I would’ve brought my seeder back up here and planted a plot or two, but I did make the right decision not to plant at the first of September.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Toss some rye grass out. Does well with little water and grew well for me as a throw & go.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
It’s hard to tell Dennis if that’s a well used trail or not. It looks like one big hoof print to me.
About a hundred hoof prints. Lol.
Looks like a feed lot in there with all the tracks. Trail a foot wide heading into the bean field.
Definitely a rifle season plot.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Well we’re expecting a snow storm from the NW next Tuesday/ Wednesday so maybe it will continue on down and give y’all some rain. We’re looking at 4-8” of snow so that should give some good rains.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
Well we’re expecting a snow storm from the NW next Tuesday/ Wednesday so maybe it will continue on down and give y’all some rain. We’re looking at 4-8” of snow so that should give some good rains.
We have a slight chance of rain Sunday, but all clear sky's afterward.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Reactions: retrieverman
1 - 18 of 18 Posts