Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what brands/products you guys have the best luck with when it comes to deer attractant, pellets, food plots.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
I put in food plots of wheat. I live in wheat growing country so it's a food they are familiar with.

Over the years, I've tried a lot of the commercial mixes for the food plots. Even going so far as to plant them in different zones in front of the blind at one time to see which they preferred.

What I've found from a lot of the commercial mixes is that they aren't designed to be planted in Ok. They may work great in Michigan where brassicas and rape type of plants need an early freeze to convert the starches to sugars where the deer will eat them.
In Ok we may not get a freeze until rifle season is almost over. It does you no good to plant that. It looks great, but it's bitter until a freeze.

There are zero apple trees or acorns in the area that I hunt. I've transported buckets of acorns and apples to my area and they pretty much ignore them.

So, the bottom line I'm saying is to look around in your area, see what the farmers are growing and plant the same. If there is no agriculture in your area and the deer are living off of mast and forage from oak trees, etc, some of the attractant like ground acorns might work.
A food plot of wheat in the middle of some trees close to cover will attract deer that a big field won't until it's dark because there is no cover close by.

Corn always works from a feeder or poured on the ground.

If your going to put in a food plot the most important thing is to get a soil test. It will tell you what you need to do to get the soil ready to plant. Its frustrating to buy some seed, plant it and it just never grows well.
Probably bad soil that can be corrected after a soil test.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
All corn and a little sweet feed works good for me
Good advice and welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!

What part of Ok do you come from?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Alfalfa and clover are about two of the best attractants I've seen around my area. But when white oak acorns are falling, nothing will pull them away from them. Well, a Chevy might pull 'em, but a Ford wouldn't stand a chance!!! :cool:

Reactions: Kicker and kwaynem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Food plot success varies so much in OK because of the vast differences between rainfall, soil type, humidity and temp differences depending on your location east to west. Nearly every crop will work in eastern OK, not so in the western part of the state.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Sil put cameras,feeder,and blind up last week we went and set all mine and the youngest daughter today and I thought I was going to melt before we got done and got out of the timber he had some little bucks on camera but no shooters yet I just put out 150 of corn in the feeder I’ll add a little something in a couple weeks not sure what yet

·
Registered
119 Posts
We hunt in NW OK and last year I got a fall mix from Ross seed co in El Reno and it came up great I will include a list of the seed that is in it. Like previously stated, some of the stuff like the turnips came up great but for us did not do us much good because we typically come up the 2 weeks before gun starts. The only reason we planted it is because other family hunts it throughout the year and they destroy the turnips later in the year. We are also surrounded by wheat and our food plot is located between 2 draws of woods with pretty good cover. We seem to get a lot of activity in the plot itself. We also have a large 50 gallon drum gravity feeder with a cattle fence around it that we use corn in during the season and a protein feed during the spring and summer. The seed mix includes Wheat, Oats, Austrian winter peas, triticale, alfalfa, turnips, rape, clover, dwarf Essex rape, and Daikon Radish. And we did not do a soil test just broadcast the seed and drag it over. Seemed to work pretty good. Maybe we got lucky but we will take it. Turnips.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you guys have a certain mineral that you prefer one over the other? Anyone used the Doubledown deer feed?

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Minerals don't offer much benefit during the winter except as a possible attractant. Minerals are best during the early spring to help with antler growth.
In my area, I've spread minerals, salt blocks, and everything possible back in the day and they just melted into the ground with rainfall. It appears my neck of the woods has all the minerals and nutrients that the deer can get naturally, and don't desire supplements.
On the other hand my buddy that hunts about 60 miles away can put out some of the deer cocain stuff and the deer tear the ground up around it.
By all means try it. You never know if it will work in your area until you do.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use the fall mix from Ross Seed in El Reno. Its blended with good quality seed selected to grow in our area. It never fails to draw them in. We have used it for years now. I also set feeders. Word of advice, find someone who harvests corn and buy from them in bulk. Buying by the bag is a waist of money. You can damn near get a heaping pick up bed for a 100 dollars. If your going to set up mineral sites dont fall for the big named over priced stuff in the hunting section. Go to your local feed store and by 2 50# bags of mineral 1 50# bag of salt and 1 50# bag of dicalcium phosphate, clear a 4 foot patch of dirt and then turn it all in together. You'll have to redo it every 6 months. Set a trail cam on it so you can see the fruits of your labor.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There's a place in north Edmond, Garland Animal Wellness. They make their own protein, and attractants. I've had really good luck with them. I like to test different feeds/attractants. I'll set them out virtually side-by-side, and monitor them. Garland's protein gets more use than anything so far. They even make a protein pellet with garlic in it to help the deer with ticks. Try eat it just as good as the regular protein pellet. They also sell flavoring packets. It's like $5 for a bag that treats a ton of corn, so a little goes a long way. It makes it a whole lot cheaper to feed apple corn using that stuff rather than buying the pre-flavored stuff.

Other attractants that I really like are rice bran and scratch grains. The areas that I hunt, the deer will eat every bit of scratch grains before they touch the straight corn.

Good luck with whatever you try, and keep us updated on how everything works for you.

Edited to correct the company name.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
After over 2 months in Colorado, we got home and I went to look over my hunting areas today. Lordy, there is a lot of work that needs done. I brush hogged before leaving, but the summer rains have the Johnson grass 7' high. I'ts ugly. One good thing is that the farmer that leases one of the places planted 100 acres of milo right in front of my stand, and the farmer on the other side planted milo as well. That place is going to be a deer magnet.
My other spot is grown up with Johnson grass, but the clover patch is still there and growing, so it just needs brush hogged and the feeder filled.
Hung one camera, but it would have been a waste to put the other two up because all it would show is a bunch of grass waving in the wind.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
I used to use a mix of rye grass and some clover. I did very small plots like 10'x10' and even 10'x20' and would have 4 or 5 of them in specific spots and them put a game cam over them. Used corn as well. Can't do any of that anymore where I'm at.

Reactions: Kicker

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Bullbuster. No food plots or baiting where your at?
I put in two food plots for the first time ever this year. One is doing great the other not so much. Last time i checked their growth i didnt see much sign of browes maybe to warm i dont know.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Bullbuster. No food plots or baiting where your at?
I put in two food plots for the first time ever this year. One is doing great the other not so much. Last time i checked their growth i didnt see much sign of browes maybe to warm i dont know.
That is correct. I just moved in June from OKC to WY for work. Bear is the only thing you can bait and even that has major restrictions to it. You can hunt over AG fields (Alfalfa and such) but can not plant or put out anything specifically for attracting wildlife.
Just in the 3 months I’ve been here I’ve see well over 1k pronghorn, 500+ mule deer, 100+ whitetail, 2 moose and seen lots of fresh black bear sign. It truly is a Sportsman’s Mecca.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts