Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Y'all that havent planted a food plot and think you have to have mega equipment to do so, its not true.

this is a 1/2 acre plot. The pipeline company came across it last year and the ground was still torn up. I took the trike with a springtooth bought at a farm auction for $5 to smooth and break up the topsoil.
Used a craftsman fertilizer spreader to put on soy beans, forage wheat, and turnips.
Went back over it with the springtooth to lightly cover it up, and finally went over it with the trike by itself to get good soil/seed contact.
Should see some results in a week or two:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looks good! So what are the driving directions? Haha!

You bought that springtooth for $5? Nice! I'm going to have to hit a few auctions. I'm looking for a 3pt tiller. I already have a lot of heavy equipment, but it takes too long. I have a 2-row plow, 8-foot disk, and drag harrow. That tiller would take the place of all three in one pass!!!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good! So what are the driving directions? Haha!
Actually this place is a pretty low producing area. Its got two leases around it, that are hunted by lease hunters that kill every thing with a knob on its head. I plant it for doe and turkey mainly.

You bought that springtooth for ? Nice! I'm going to have to hit a few auctions. I'm looking for a 3pt tiller. I already have a lot of heavy equipment, but it takes too long. I have a 2-row plow, 8-foot disk, and drag harrow. That tiller would take the place of all three in one pass!!!
I have a 6' King Cutter. Its a dirt hog, but its slower than a disk.
Around here at the farm auctions, one can pick up 30' of drag type springtooth for $25. Nobody uses it any more, and one can take the parts with a little welding and make one as big or small as one wants. I have food plots that won't let me in with farm equip, so this equip comes into play. I have a disc that is 8' three point, that has been converted to pull with my pickup, with wheels that go up and down with a boat winch. Picked it up for $250 at an auction. Then had to do the mod. It was pretty cheap.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My disk is a draw-type with hydraulic lift. I've thought about picking up some cheap tractor equipment at farm auctions, then cutting and modifying to use behind my atv. Not exactly sure if it would be worth it after the time and money invested.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Pretty nifty set up ya got there Dennis. Goes to show what good ole ******* engineering can do.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just got off the tractor after making a couple of food plots. I seriously need a tiller attachment. First the brushhog, then the plow, then the disk, spread the seed, then disk again...

Anyway, here are the finished products:

Large food plot (maybe 1/2 ac.)

Small food plot

Maybe later I can do an after pic when it grows. And perhaps a reward photo! ;)

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good!
I put in one more today, and will finish another tomorrow, and then I'm done. The food plot in the original pic already has the wheat up 4".
the turnips and soy beans are just sprouting out of the ground. ;D
Hopefully we will get a little rain next week.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing around Ponca. I got a pound of them at stillwater mill last year and had a little left, but found 3lb bottles of it at Newkirk COOP. I think they call it Three Rivers COOP? First batch from stillwater was the purple top that is good for us humans to eat. The bottle from Newkirk was labled from some wildlife seed company but it looks the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'll check stillwater next time i roll through from school long as it aint to late to plant my food plot i want. with work and school now in okmulgee getting things aligned so i can play is hard. i got about 2 acres on the river i wanna put in for the deer. i got some wheat, soy beans, and winter cow peas right now in the shop waiting. just gotta get time to disk it up on the jd820.

as of right now hard to even say if i'll make deer season very much back home.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know it sucks to miss deer season, but that education will pay off in years to come.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finished up the food plots on Monday evening.
Rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Looks like were only scheduled to get an inch or so.
That will get everything up and growing good. Will post some "after" pics when its all up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey Dennis,

Is there room in that blind for a buddy? Haha! Looking good man!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, I've had two adults and two kids in there at one time. It was a tad crowded.
We take kids out for the youth hunt with one parent.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Helped a buddy get his stands up today. Spent most of the day getting shooting lanes cut out.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Haha! I set up my feeder, a treestand, and cut lanes and brushhogged too! Great minds!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should have a heck of turnip crop! :eek:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was reading in one of my NA Hunter magazines about that. That when all the green vegetation is dead and 6-8 inches of snow on the ground, that deer will paw and hoof the ground to get to the bulbs. I made sure I planted some in. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.