Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ole Gauge and Honcho called me yesterday wanting to do some lunch, but I was just getting ready to do some shooting with a buddy of mine and his 10yr old son. They had a Marlin bolt .17 and I had the 10/22 with 3x9x40 scope and the P22 pistol. The kid was killin the new spinner targets and golf balls left and right. So to show off a bit I gave each of us a 10 round P22 mag and tried to split a playing card at 10 yrds. I got the only 2 splits and was feelind pretty cocky. Then I let the air out of the balloon. We went back to 50yrds and let Jason's boy shoot the 10/22 off a rest and in 25mph gusty winds and he was smackin golf balls easy as pie. Then I said try splittin a playing card. 2 shots and he did! first shot grazed the card, second split it 3/4 of the way. So to make sure it was skill, and to make his ex Marine sniper daddy jealous, we set up another card and in 2 shots he split another!!!! Pretty good shootin if I say so myself!

Honcho, now if we can keep Jasons' boy out of Lajes!!!!!

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
At that age he has no bad habits to correct ;D Gotta love it when a young-un shows everybody up ;D
I remember going to basic training at Ft Cambell KY and we had a lot of guys from Cincinatti and Cleveland Oh that had never had a gun in their hands. They learned really well and were some of the best shooter. At the time I went to basic, I had never shot a rifle. .410 H&R shotgun was the only thing I'd ever shot. I did ok on the close range shap shots, but was just ok on the long range. Now I know why as the first model of M-16 did not float the barrel, and would wander off target with the heat building up in the barrel.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had a big ole smile on his face for sure, and that was a lot of fun. Told his dad to give me what ever I wanted for that 10/22! I'm scairt to try that shot myself now!!!

Back in '78 at Ft Jackson S.C., the day we did intial zero on the 16, we used a .22 bolt and I had mine zero'd on the second 10rnd mag. The guy next to me had his done on the first one. He had to spend the rest of the day shaggin brass along the firing line. I'd rather shoot than pick up brass, so I spen another hour shooting a nice 5 shot group and then shoot the targets in the lane next to me. That day I said I'd have me an AR with a .22 conversion, got the AR, just haven't gotten around to the .22 bolt yet.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the AR ain't new, 6yrs old Bushy, but since you asked....
And a pic of the 10/22 that did the card cuttin.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I heard they was in town and right up the street from me about 8 miles and NEVER EVEN CALLED ME. I see how it is with them two.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Can't wait until I get an AR. I'm borrowing one right now and it is a blast to shoot. Hopefully I'll get one this summer. I'm looking for at least a 22" barrel flat-top, no front sight ramp. I found one for $1200, but I know I can beat that if I'm patient enough.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Can't wait until I get an AR. I'm borrowing one right now and it is a blast to shoot. Hopefully I'll get one this summer. I'm looking for at least a 22" barrel flat-top, no front sight ramp. I found one for 00, but I know I can beat that if I'm patient enough.
Herp, check out Marks Firearms in Moore Ok. Tough to beat his prices, and he is at most bigger gun shows and has lots of inventory. Tell him I sent ya.

http://www.marksfirearms.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts