Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 bushnell cell cameras. From gen 1 through 4. I was notified by Bushnell that AT&T is shutting down the 3g network and my gen 1&2 will be shut down February of this year. They sent a coupon for me to get 2 of the current model for $75 each. But I’m not impressed with them and I could hardly find a signal with it at Luther. My buddy has a Tactacam Reveal X. It gets signal everywhere we tried it. They now how a couple of newer models. Think I’ll probably try them out. Anyone else losing their cameras because 3g shutting down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
That really sucks that’s happening. I hadn’t heard anything about it happening.
Cell cams and and live feed cams are illegal here and I just saw where Utah banned all game cams for hunting use. Arizona has also banned them. It seems the more technology advances the more places restrict them.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I’m not sure what banning them would do. It’s fun just looking at them I don’t know that it betters your chances at that big buck. I’ve had deer all week long 7:30-8am never late all week I go out Saturday it’s 11:30 and I haven’t seen anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
The debates I’ve seen have said they give Hunter an unfair advantage and proves them with places to ambush the animals. It’s all anti talk and propaganda if you ask me BUT many hunters are in favor of banning or restricting them as well.
I’ve had mine nearly 10 years now and need to upgrade but until they stop working or a bear eats one I’ll continue to use them.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have 4 bushnell cell cameras. From gen 1 through 4. I was notified by Bushnell that AT&T is shutting down the 3g network and my gen 1&2 will be shut down February of this year. They sent a coupon for me to get 2 of the current model for $75 each. But I’m not impressed with them and I could hardly find a signal with it at Luther. My buddy has a Tactacam Reveal X. It gets signal everywhere we tried it. They now how a couple of newer models. Think I’ll probably try them out. Anyone else losing their cameras because 3g shutting down?
To answer your question, ATT‘s 3g evidently went down in Alfalfa county in September, because that’s when my 4 Spartans quit getting service and sending pictures. :mad:
I’ve been using cell cams for over 10 years, and this isn’t my first rodeo. I lost service to my 2g cameras in 2015 or 16 when service to 2g devices went away.

I have replaced my 3g cameras with 4g Spartans, and I can honestly say the service on these cameras is exponentially better than the 2g and 3g cameras ever was in the same locations. 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
I lost two Spartans as well. Replaced them with the Tacticam Reveal.
So far they are working great.
Battery life could be better so I bought solar panels for them.
They have been online for a month now showing 100% battery so that issue has been fixed.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think those against the cell cameras are saying that it’s an unfair advantage if you are sitting in stand #1 and you get a notification that the buck you are hunting is at the feeder at stand #2 or if you are sitting on your couch and your phone gets a notification that your deer is at your stand.
Even if you know that the deer was just there doesn’t mean you will be able to just go there and kill it. I’m sure it has happened that way in a few instances but doubt if it does the majority of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Arizona and Utah banning cameras is nothing more than political grandstanding, and I don’t believe it’s enforceable.
What if your using game cams for property security? Get busted for that?
Are game wardens going to trespass on private property to check for cams?
Enforceable on public ground, not private.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What if your using game cams for property security? Get busted for that?
Are game wardens going to trespass on private property to check for cams?
Enforceable on public ground, not private.
Do you seriously think game wardens have the time to enforce such a BS even on public land? :ROFLMAO:

I said this on another board in a thread on this subject, and I’ll publicly say it here too. If Texas and/or Oklahoma attempts to make game cams illegal, I will become an outlaw.

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Do you seriously think game wardens have the time to enforce such a BS even on public land? :ROFLMAO:

I said this on another board in a thread on this subject, and I’ll publicly say it here too. If Texas and/or Oklahoma attempts to make game cams illegal, I will become an outlaw.
I’d better not catch them on a cell cam. I’ve busted a county sheriff deputy trespassing on me, and not afraid to do the same with anyone else.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they haven’t already, they will figure out a way to detect them. Either by gps or the signal itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I’d better not catch them on a cell cam. I’ve busted a county sheriff deputy trespassing on me, and not afraid to do the same with anyone else.
How did that situation play out Dennis

I feel the same with this as I do with seatbelt tickets and such. Law enforcement as a career (I do believe there are still good people in this field) is about like politicians drunk on power not realizing it’s WE THE PEOPLE that employ them and somewhere down the road “Serve And Protect” has turned more “Harass And Collect” I do not use cameras to track deer movement I use them as was mentioned already for security I like to know what is stealing my corn and if anyone is trying to steal my feeder. I don’t even enjoy deer most months of the year. I guess that would be my argument if they find my camera.

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
How did that situation play out Dennis

I feel the same with this as I do with seatbelt tickets and such. Law enforcement as a career (I do believe there are still good people in this field) is about like politicians drunk on power not realizing it’s WE THE PEOPLE that employ them and somewhere down the road “Serve And Protect” has turned more “Harass And Collect” I do not use cameras to track deer movement I use them as was mentioned already for security I like to know what is stealing my corn and if anyone is trying to steal my feeder. I don’t even enjoy deer most months of the year. I guess that would be my argument if they find my camera.
When I called in the GW, after catching the guy with a rifle during deer season, he basically asked me to forget about it. Professional courtesy or something. After a short discussion he wrote the trespass ticket and that’s the last I heard of it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
When I called in the GW, after catching the guy with a rifle during deer season, he basically asked me to forget about it. Professional courtesy or something. After a short discussion he wrote the trespass ticket and that’s the last I heard of it.
“Professional courtesy“ for trespassing?!? That’s some serious BS.

When I caught trespassers on camera last year, the Alfalfa county game warden was really helpful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts