Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from Gauge and said that they have been forced to evac their house. They got most of their stuff out of the house and are fine. But said that the fires are pretty severe around there and some houses have already been lost.

Good luck to ya buddy and hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I just read about the fires this morning. First person I thought if was him. Do you know if his cell phone # is the same. I would like to drop him a line.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Ya Kelly (his wife) called me as well. They was just checking into a hotel. Last time this happened it took 2 weeks before they could get any Helo support for fighting the fire that started from the base. I don't understand why it such an issue to have helo support when it comes to peoples homes being lost. Must be an ARMY thing and red tape.

Lets hope and pray no more homes are destroyed and no one is hurt. Hope they get it contained and out quickly.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
OKC check your PM's

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
That would suck really bad to have to evacuate, and not know if your home would still be standing when you get home.
I hope everything turns out well.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The fire started on the west range here on Ft. Sill and the wind did the rest. I hope Gauge's house will be ok. I saw where the fire started from my motorpool. Now it is headed towards Lake Lawtonka. That is what Channel 7 News (Lawton) as report on the 5 o'clock report.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Anyone heard from Gauge? Watching news and its still burning there. Gauge let us know if you need anything.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just spoke to Gauge and they are staying at a hotel in Lawton. Their house is fine but it was really close for their daughters house, had the helios dumping water on it. Might be Monday before folks are allowed back in town and to their homes. The NE side of town seems to have gotten the worst of it. He did say that the firemen are having cops ride with them cause wild pigs are roaming around everywhere. Told him if they needed anything give me a call and that amongst all of us we could just about cover anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Gauge called me last night and he was back at home. No damage to his place at all. His step daughters place has minor water damage from the 3 helo bucket drops on it. Apperently many of the trailers lost had been owned by the same guy in the park. gauge said 4 hogs had been killed 1 by a fire truck the others shot.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Thats good news for them. Glad they didn't suffer any damage.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Well, Y'all.
Were all okay. Thanks for your support.

All but about 1/8 of Medicine Park from Town Hall east was burnt up. Hwy 49 & 58 intersection going north and around the south side of Lake Lawtonka.
It was scary on Thursday evening & Friday evening around here. Thanks to local police officers good friends of the family we had about an extra hour to get stuff loaded up.
Thank the good lord, I work here in town & was able to help out with keeping water to the fire crews.
Up to 200 firemen & women- 25 Fire Crews from OKC to TX were here helping out.
We still have had a few hot spots flair up even this morning.

Total lost were 2 homes on Big Rock RD. and A Trailer Park . 3 family's lost everything.
This place-Med.Park- has a whole new look to it.

Thanks to all the Fire Crews- they did more then 100% in keeping homes & structures all intact.
This fire easy could of taken way more homes.

Ft.Sill has fessed up to the damages & are taken claims from all home owners here in Med.Park.
It was an uneasy feeling this morning when the towns people & Ft.Sill were making & taking claims.
One man who lost his home wanted to shake my hand & say thanks for the help.
I thought the man could use a hug more then a hand shake today & did so.He lost everything he owned.

My daughters home was the closes to the fire out of our family's homes here in the park.
They took over 10 helo drops to the house & the night they let us come home, It flared back up again right in her back yard around 1:30 a.m.
Fire crew came in & was back out in minutes.

Again y'all~
Thanks for your support & offers.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
No worries gauge just glad y'all are ok and no one was killed the fire. Be interesting to see how may more start around the state this weekend from fireworks. Had some rain this morning but you wouldnt know it now.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Little update:
Found out their were close to five hundred firemen & women here & over 30 different fire crews.
Ft.Sill did help out from the start to the finish of this wildfire. They were iffy but came through in the long hall.

Big talk is Ft.Sill having Helo's around for wildfires here soon after this miss hap.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Good to hear everything worked out for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
That would be cool if they had helo's on a fixed basis. Maybe I could get orders for them and stay here. I'm dreaming I know.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back when we had Herc's, we were trying to get the MAFFS water drop system but it ended up going to a unit in Colorado. Would have been nice to have that capability in state several times over the last couple of years.

Glad you all are fine and hope Medicine Park recovers quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
We need rain so bad the whole state does none the less.
It will get green again someday. It is cool to see all the rock that you never could due to the trees & under growth.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Bet its gonna smell like a wet campfire once you do get some rain.

We had a nice heavy rain Sunday night. I had just got back from a last minute trip to the lake with my boss. I sucked out over 60 gallons of water from my boat Monday as I hadn't had time to get the cover on when I got back before it all came down. What a mess that was.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure is going to change the wildlife habits till the grass and brush grow back. It'll be like hunting a brand new area, much like the after icestorm hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
You can't hunt around here anyways...Well unless you got land outside of city limits.
Critters seems to be okay. See deer w fawns, turkeys with chicks..Hogs too just about every early morning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts