Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to go pheasant hunting this weekend, but I'm having a hard time getting people to commit to going with me, and the season will end before too long. I'm really hoping to get to go this weekend. If not, would anyone want to go some weekend before close?

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Where abouts do you live and intend to go hunt?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Okemah, but I'm hoping that this weekend's trip will work out. We are supposed to be going to Guymon.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Just came through there last weekend. Didn't see any along the road, but I've heard if one can find a good field, they have a good population. Late season birds can be a chore though. They like to fly way before getting into range.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I live in Okemah, but I'm hoping that this weekend's trip will work out. We are supposed to be going to Guymon.
Have no clue where that is.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steven, Okemah, where I live, is about 25 miles east of Shawnee, straight down I-40. Guymon, is in the panhandle in Texas County.

Dennis, You're supposed to be giving me hope and encouragement! :D Maybe I should take my scoped .22 instead of a 12-ga. Hahahaha!!

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I had a friend go out there right after the season opened. They had great sucess.
But no matter where your going, late season roosters can be challenging.
It almost turns into a semi military operation, with setting out blockers, etc. ;D
Actually its pretty fun trying to outsmart a bird with a brain the size of a marble. ;D

I'd love to make it, but the home remodel keeps getting in the way of longer trips. Short day trips are still doable though. I'm not giving them up. ;D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis, do you have pheasant pretty close to you?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Just off hand have any of you hunted,I believe Glass Mountain?
A member on here at one time who went by that name...said it was the pheasant capitol of Oklahoma.
True or false?

Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never hunted it, but it sounds like a pheasant GT might be in order. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I've never hunted it, but it sounds like a pheasant GT might be in order. ;)
I'm almost scared to go after ring necks. They are the only game species I'm 100% for with the first shot. Love the cackle on liftoff but hate to break the streak if ya wanna call a 6 or 7 bird career a streak.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Dennis, do you have pheasant pretty close to you?
Normally I'll have a few, but the last two years in a row, we have had floods during nesting season + heavy snows, that partially thawed, then refroze for days on end keeping the birds out of the food sources. The bird count is very low.
The area around Blackwell is normally real good, as some of the farmers will charge for a day lease, but this year they are turning everybody down, hoping for a good hatch in the spring to turn things around.
We went last weekend, with three good dogs, and saw a total of two roosters and no hens.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Just off hand have any of you hunted,I believe Glass Mountain?
A member on here at one time who went by that name...said it was the pheasant capitol of Oklahoma.
True or false?

Thanks.
Is that glass mountain, or the gloss mountains just west of Enid?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The glass mountains and gloss mountains are the same. Nobody can decide which is correct and books refer to them both equally.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
??? From what I know.I believe it to be up around the west side of the pan handle. ???

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I just drove thru the gloss mountains west of Enid twice last weekend on my way to the elk hunt. Its pretty much sagebrush and salt cedar. It just didn't look like pheasant country to me, but what do I know.
They may be there in droves, but its just not what I'm used to seeing. Be interesting to know somebody from that area that could give us a little insite.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you're talking about Black Mesa. I have been up there a few times, but never seen pheasant. I've seen pheasant through the panhandle, but only hunted around Jet. This weekend will be the first time to hunt around Guymon. I've caught prairie rattlers around Lake Optima! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Wish,I could get a hold of that guy to find out just where he was hunting.
Might have to go back through a lot of emails???

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Do it!
I'd like to find out if its the Gloss Mts. Thats an hour and a half from me.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis, I plain to.
Just busy with finding a job right now buddy.
I will get back to you about this a.s.a.p.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts