Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted much of it on here, but I'm getting into competition pistol, rifle and shotgun shooting. It started out after getting my Concealed Carry License, as I wanted to be real familiar with running my pistol if anything happend. I decided the .45 platform in 1911 would be the gun to use. (why work up?)
I've shot a half dozen IPSC matches, with standard gear, another half dozen steel challenge matches, and now the urge to go forward has
hit me pretty big time. Two gun matches(pistol and rifle), and three gun matches(pistol, rifle, and shotgun) are in the future.
If one wants they can go big time, but it gets into lots of money. I'm staying with the .22 lr matches, and shotgun for now, for the two and three gun stuff.
The .45 will still be the pistol of choice.
I never realized how much fun it is, with the running and gunning thing.
The Ponca City Rifle and Pistol club has a major shoot coming up this Saturday. There will be folks there shooting $5000 race guns that are high in the ranks nationally, and then there will be me. :-\
I have fun and thats what is important. I'll never be as good as those other guys, but I will know how to run my gun under pressure. I know its too far for ya'll to travel, but if you happen to be this way, there is no charge to come watch.
I'll be driving to Tulsa on Sunday to shoot a steel challenge at USAA, then visit with the In-laws afterward. Kind of a dual purpose trip.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just finished loading 300 rounds of .45ACP 200gr Semi Wad Cutters. The match Saturday calls for 250 rounds minimum, and with some of the targets, it will likely take this many and a few more. Each stage is 60 rounds minimum with 4 stages. With the swinging targets, hidden targets, etc, it will take them all.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I always like to see a nice lot of freshly loaded ammo. Just something about it knowing that you created it and didn't have to buy it makes a guy feel good..Good luck Saturday and have fun my friend.......Sasakwa

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Post pic's if you get any taken. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I loaded another hundred tonight, and will take pics at the match tomorrow. It promises to be fun ;D

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Just something about shooting something that reacts besides leaving a hole in paper, is sooooo danged cool. Good luck to ya Dennis.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A word of advise. Don't take a Box Stock 1911 to a hi cap shoot.

Like I said before, its a run what you brung shoot.
Its kind of tough to compete against a $4000 race gun with a stocker.

I took some video's of the more difficult stage areas. As soon as I learn to post to utube, i'll let you know.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That gun is what I want, but the 5K it takes to buy it might buy a divorce first ::)

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
stash cash. Its what Ido :)

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Oh it might be hard to compete score wise Dennis, but did you have a ton o'fun??? Yep, I thought you'd be WINNING!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh it might be hard to compete score wise Dennis, but did you have a ton o'fun??? Yep, I thought you'd be WINNING!
If it wasn't a ton of fun, I wouldn't have been there. ;D My mags were falling like rain doing reloads. I had to reload 7 times for each stage! Big boys only three times. :'(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.