Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 good archery seasons with my compound bow. I decided to go back to what I started hunting with years ago. I ordered a new bear grizzly recurve 55# draw from Cabellas should be at my house by this weekend. I really missed shooting instinct and compound bow hunting with all the gizmos on it just was not for me. I am very excited. You know most of my harvests with the compound bow was in such low light that I had to use my instinct skills any way from when I hunted with longs and recurves. No sence in carrying the extra stuff If I am not using it any way.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I started with a recurve 25# when I was a kid around 12 or so, and quit around 15 when girls came around.
Borrowed a bare Jenning compound in my early 30's and took a doe, my second deer.
Ended up getting a compound from my folks for christmas, and used it for 20+ years with just me and my fingers. Never did get all the sights and accesories. Never had a problem with anyboy that did, but I just grew up without them. And at the time probably couldn't afford to but anything else.
Since rupturing my Bicep tendon a couple of years ago, I'm restricted to the crossbow.
I miss the instinctive shooting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my bow last week, and started shooting it right away. Its like I never put down the tradidtional equipment. Im pretty sure my compound will likely only get used when some one wants to come out to Oregon from out of state and hunt with me. I did however salvage my wisker bisket off my compound, I drilled a 3/8 hole into the riser and put in a nice brass insert. Fastened the biskiet to it and now I don't have to worry about the arrow falling off the shelf when Im deep in the woods stalking an elk this fall.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I know what you mean about it never going away.
I might get my compound tuned down to 45 lbs or so just to have something to shoot in the yard. That was a pretty good idea putting the whisker biscuit on your new bow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.