Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the sportsman’s warehouse in Show Low, AZ had CCI #450 small rifle magnum primers. I picked up 2 boxes (2k) for $90 w/my mil discount (originally 2x $45). My local store (in Rawlins) has the Remington small rifle for $90 per 1k but I’ll never pay that.
The only other CCI primers I have are the #41s. Did I overpay for these CCIs or was that a good find? I’m still not sure what’s good and what’s not for primers in general.
Still no luck on finding powders.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I do not mean any sarcasm here, just stating a hard cold fact of the times. How bad do you need them? If you must have them, pay the price. Sorry, I don't mean to sound unkind.

When was I working in Afghanistan and getting paid an obscene amount of money I bought 5000 each of small rifle, large rifle and large pistol primers. I forgot to order small pistol. I had less the 100.

My Grandsons had a bunch of reloading gear (mainly Dillion Machines and accessories they inherited when their other Grandfather passed. They have been storing the stuff in my storage locker. Neither of them have any real interest in reloading. The Minnesota GS was picking up his stuff and hauling it home and I was helping him load it. I saw a box of 5000 small pistol primers. I asked if I could have them, he asked what are they for and how do they work. These two kids may never use this stuff, but right now I have a full 5000 box of small pistol primers. I don't know what kind but, right now I don't care.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don’t necessarily “need them” right now but they are hard to find anywhere and I try to get something when I find it. I’m just not wanting to pay double price. I’m up to about 5k primers now, half dozen boxes of bullets in a few calibers and a dozen 1lb bottles of powders now so I can load something at least.
I just don’t know what’s reasonably priced and what’s not.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
635 Posts
Anything from 5.56 to 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC uses CCI 450s. $45/1K isn't bad these days at all. You could always sell 1K and pay for the other (free). I still see these SELLING well north of $100/1K.

There was a time where I thought you could have too much...
...I only believe that now if you don't store your components properly or will actually turn in your guns.

Now I make a list of how much I intend to shoot should I live to be 80, and stockpile accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve got a few hundred of the CCI #41s and 2k Remington SR that I found for $60x 1k. My local shop wants $90 for the exact same ones.

I really want to find some large rifle but everyone I’ve talked to to says they can’t even order them, just the small rifle and a few pistol.

My wife’s been talking to a few ladies she met on out antelope hunt and she’s becoming more and more of a believer that we must stock up. She carries a shopping list in her wallet now of what to look for.

Struck out on anything reloading at the Cabelas in Grand Junction, CO.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I’ve got a few hundred of the CCI #41s and 2k Remington SR that I found for $60x 1k. My local shop wants $90 for the exact same ones.

I really want to find some large rifle but everyone I’ve talked to to says they can’t even order them, just the small rifle and a few pistol.

My wife’s been talking to a few ladies she met on out antelope hunt and she’s becoming more and more of a believer that we must stock up. She carries a shopping list in her wallet now of what to look for.

Struck out on anything reloading at the Cabelas in Grand Junction, CO.
As much time we all spend daily here going over the same threads...it pays to check 4-5 online wholesale or retail giants.

I just bought 1K Federal 215 (large rifle magnums) two weeks ago, and scored 8 more pounds of IMR-4064 two days ago for full retail...but $270 is well under the $500-600 going rate that IMR-4064 is bringing on Gunbroker...not here and there...but every auction.

I'm hopefully going to score 1K, 123gr Lapua Scenars here in a day or two...October is going to be a rough financial month.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Well I don’t necessarily “need them” right now but they are hard to find anywhere and I try to get something when I find it. I’m just not wanting to pay double price. I’m up to about 5k primers now, half dozen boxes of bullets in a few calibers and a dozen 1lb bottles of powders now so I can load something at least.
I just don’t know what’s reasonably priced and what’s not.
Back during the end of the Trump era, I was paying $29-33 per thousand of CCI depending if it was rifle, pistol, or magnum. I maintain a 10,000 minimum stock of each type of primer used in the shop for reloading.
Got caught short once back in the clinton era primer shortage and swore to never let that happen again.
I know that doesn't help you now, but that was pricing about two years ago.
I saw CCI AR small rifle primers today on sale from Brownells for $90 per 2000. They didn't last long.
CCI AR primers are harder than most primers because the AR platform uses a floating firing pin that can result in a slam fire using other primers according to internet lore.
I do know that when a round is chambered in an AR, and not fired, you can see where the firing pin has made contact with the primer. Seen it thousands of times actually when unloading my rifles or when being a range RO at a rifle match.
I still use small rifle, and have had to use small rifle magnum primers a couple of times back in the day before getting stocked up on primers without any slam fires, and have never personally witnessed one.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Back during the end of the Trump era, I was paying $29-33 per thousand of CCI depending if it was rifle, pistol, or magnum. I maintain a 10,000 minimum stock of each type of primer used in the shop for reloading.
Got caught short once back in the clinton era primer shortage and swore to never let that happen again.
I know that doesn't help you now, but that was pricing about two years ago.
I saw CCI AR small rifle primers today on sale from Brownells for $90 per 2000. They didn't last long.
CCI AR primers are harder than most primers because the AR platform uses a floating firing pin that can result in a slam fire using other primers according to internet lore.
I do know that when a round is chambered in an AR, and not fired, you can see where the firing pin has made contact with the primer. Seen it thousands of times actually when unloading my rifles or when being a range RO at a rifle match.
I still use small rifle, and have had to use small rifle magnum primers a couple of times back in the day before getting stocked up on primers without any slam fires, and have never personally witnessed one.
I've not seen a slam fire in person either, but I still use CCI 400s as a minimum with my ARs so I guess I bought into the internet lore at some point.

I do know that the cups on CCI primers are harder than Federal, Remington, or Winchester. I know several people - my dad being one if them - that have to run Federal primers in his slicked up revolvers.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Back in the olden days when I was a young college student learning how to build National Match M1's we use to modify the tail of the firing pin so it dragged and delayed and would not slam fire.

I have seen a M1 slamfire. Sounded like a double tap. Sequence was you squeezed of your shot and it fired twice. Never slam fired more than once. Looking at the brass after wards it appeared the bolt had locked before firing.

Always Federal primers, but they were the darling of the time. Best accuracy-consistency over chronograph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts