Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a first for me, not have I heard of this happening before. I picked up my M1A that I had pawned to my buddy several years back so I could pay some bills today. Hes had it sitting in his safe for the past several years and got it out to return it to me today. It has a BSA Catseye scope on it that had a rubber armored finish on it. Well that rubber finish has turned to goo, literally. Anywhere you touch the scope, you get a Black gooey substance all over you and anything it touches. Ive had scopes with this type of finish before and never had this problem ever. Even here in our humidity. Has anyone heard of such a thing or had it happen to their scope? Im gonna try and use some cotton balls and alchohol to get it off, WD40 on a rag, goo gone, something. I asked him if his safe was out in the garage, but it is inside the house. Thought maybe the heat did it. Anyways, I got my baby back for Doomsday. ;)

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I've experienced something like you've talking about but not on scopes.
It must be some way the rubber is compounded or something. Are BSA scopes made in China?
I did a google search, and this is what I found: (its not about scopes, but rubber in general)

Subject: Re: Melted Rubber Idlers & Belts

How many of you have purchased a used Ampex, Norelco, Philips or

> > other Tape deck only to find it did not work when you got it

> > because the Rubber components have melted down to a Tar like

> > substance? I have restored many consumer Ampex machines because of

> > this problem. A bulletin I got from Ampex stated this was caused by

> > improper "Curing" of the rubber product. It seems many Rubber Belts

> > & Idler wheels were made overseas and were not made to spec.

>

> Aha! That would explain the apparent random experiences I have

> encountered with 'gooification' of rubber. I spent a bit of time

> discussing this matter with a guy who refurbed by X-10R recently. WE

> renewed all rubber just in case although it looked and felt OK. He

> showed me a couple of identical decks of his own where one deck's

> rubber was original and just fine, while the other's had gone to goo.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Now that is a first, haven't ever heard of that happening. I'd call BSA up and ask them about it. Maybe if you get all the goo off, you could ceracoat it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The caps were even gooey. I used a toothbrush and Fantstic and got it off. Tomorrow I'm gonna see how alcohol and cotton balls work.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The alcohol and cotton balls worked. It was danged messy, but worked. Spots I couldnt get to with cotton balls I used q-tips. After I got it off it was kinda sticky in a few spost still so I sprayed Fantastic on a cotton ball and went over the scope again. The scope is now goo and Armor coating free. I still have no idea why it did that.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
What color is left under the goo coat?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's still black metal

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
That's really strange. Have you contacted the manufacturer since the problem?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I contacted BSA and they sai $10 shipping and they would send a new one. Talked like it was perfectly normal for this to happen. Think I'll just keep the one I got. Won't have to resight or worry about it happening again to a new one

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Wow! They admit to a defect, and are willing to send another with the same defect?
I like your option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts