Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the good Lord was on my side yesterday plus I worked a deal and got the day off yesterday. I hit lake Draper for the first time this season and only my second duck outing this fall. Well it was an interesting morning. I got the deeks in the water and the mojo going, kicked back and waited for the sun to come up.

Right at first light a bird came in and landed so I ended its day early. Well much to my surprise and happiness it was a bull woodie. My first woodie and a bird I always wanted to take. Didn't have full color and the #4 messed its head up.

The wind was blowing rather hard and managed to relocate a couple of my deeks closer to shore than I wanted. I waded out to fix'm and as I was doing that a group of about 15 teal came by about 6-10' off the water doing mach 3 and passed by about 60y out. I was ticked to not have my gun and them outa range made me grumpy. Awhile later I was glassing the opposite shore watching some birds dive bombing something when I put my bino's down to suddenly see a lone hen mallard go by. I grab my gun but it was a hopeless pop shot at best. Now I'm really grumpy. I heard some shots from the next cove over and grabbed my bino's to see if I can see anything and nothing. I said a little prayer for a shot opportunity.

Well the Good Lord was listening as not even ten minutes later I hear the faint honk of geese. I start looking around and see about 8 coming in from my 4 o'clock over the trees headed to my 11. I quickly hit the goose call and BOOOM they turn tail and come right to me. I whip off my right glove and pop out the 2 #4 2 3/4" shells and pop in 2 3" #BB. I hit the call again and they kick right some and pass by about 40-45y out and 20-25y up. I put the bead on the lead bird and boom missed, I put the bead on the second and boom. He helicopters to the water with a 6' splash. I didn't even load again for another shot I was so pumped. My first goose ever.
I sent gauge a text telling him. I had to share the moment with someone. He calls me to say congrats. The birds wasn't fully dead so I got off so I could deliver another shot. But his head goes under and he never moved. I waited for about 5 minutes for the wind to blow it into shore and as it hits the shore up pops its head and it walks right up on the bank. I'm thinking holly crap. So I gave it a final head full of #4. I fetched it up and sat there just giddy as can be in the moment. I had wanted one for so long. No band but that OK with me.

So as I sit here at work I'm getting by on the thoughts of my only two trips out this fall to hunt and the 3 dove, bull woodie, goose and how both are two of my bucket list birds. I'll post pic's of them later when I get home. Sorry so long but I had to relive and share the moment.

I can't wait till Dec. and my guided duck/goose hunt.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Great story! Glad to hear you got out and got two firsts ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now all I need is the first band. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Good to hear your luck changed for ya.
See you in December for the hunt.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK here are my pics.

First goose. My son Garrett wanted in on the pic.

First Woodie

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I think the only duck I really liked to eat was a wood duck. Only had one, but as I remember it was pretty good.
Beautiful ducks. ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just sad that it wasn't in full color. :'(

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bird man.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well took my 10 year old daughter and 6 year old son out yesterday for some ducks. Was a day to remember. Only got 2 shots off at 2 greenheads that just came into range when my boy jumped up outa his chair from the excitement and busted them.

Had to text gauge and verify what a snow goose looked like. We had close to a thousand fly over in hawitzer range plus and flocks of 50-70 landing on the lake all morning. Plus some 200 ducks as well. Most all stayed a good 300-400 out in the open water but did have some pass by within 100y. Kids had never seen so many ducks and geese much less it was all our first time seeing snows. I hadn't seen flights like that sence I was a kid growing up in Washington and we would have thousands of geese come through each year.

So while we didn't harvist anything we had a blast seeing all them birds. Oh and we also saw 2 doe running crazy along the lake shore and a 6pt buck along the road in the edge of a field. Too bad ya can't deer hunt around the lake.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Even though you didn't get anything, it sounds like you had quality time with the kids.
;D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yes we had a good time. We made sand castles while we waited and watched for birds. My boy has cost me shots on several occasions birds and deer but its all about the time spent together.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well took the two oldest out with me yesterday morning. We went to another area closer to where it seamed the birds flew. Lake policy says you can hunt any blind area but before 10am if the blind area holder shows up they get the spot back. Lucky for us of the 4 blind areas in that area only 1 is called and further down shore. It was the best move I could have made except for the half mile hike in waders with 40 deeks, gun, 3 chairs, backpack, 2 kids, and dog. Took us 30 min to get their. Was a picture perfect spot with steam coming off the water. Had the cold wind in our face that the kids didn't like. I was in the middle of putting out decoys and had ducks dive bombing my so close I could reach out and grab them and feel the wind off there wings. But my gun we cased and sitting on my chair. By time I was done placing the decoys and back set up in my chair we had already had 50 ducks live for another day. My shooting started off really bad. I couldn't hit the side of a barn. Called in a tun of ducks and a nice group of Canada's that I got too excited on and shot way before I should have. They would have landed on us if I had waited for them. I ended up with 1 mallard hen and 2 drake ringnecks. I only had 25 shells with me and with all my misses I had to watch my shooting. Will post pics later.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went back out on Sunday by myself. I could hear the geese in the dark as I was walking to my intended area. I was all set up and sitting by waiting for shooting time. Wind was in my face but light. Well when the sun came up and hit the water all wind broke loose. It started blowing hard. So hard it was washing my decoys ashore with 4-6oz of weight on them. I had 3 deeks that the 550 cord broke on. Had to bring the mojo in as it kept getting blown over nearly into the water. I packed it up and left at 0800. I only saw about 20 ducks and nothing within 100y most of them was sitting on the water. Saw no geese. Was a heck of a way to close out the first part of the season.

So far all I got was 1 goose, 1 bull woodie, 2 drake ring necks, and 1 hen mallard. Coulda, shoulda, woulda if I coulda shot better had at least another dozen birds in the bag.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Your getting out, thats the important part. ;)
I know what you mean about that wind. Couldn't even stay in the tree, and if I did, it was moving so bad it would have been tough to get an accurate shot.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very true on the getting out. I may be able to see where I work from my blind area but atleast I'm in the field and not at work.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok found the time to get the pic from Nov. 26th posted.
2 ringnecks and 1 mallard hen.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
First of all, congrats on the hunt! ;D
Second, I'v never never heard of a ring neck duck.
Only a ringneck pheasant?

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ringnecks are the most common ducks on my pond late in the season. Little divers and very fast!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.