Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The global warming was so nice today, my buddy and I decided to head out to the Kaw Lake off-road with our ATV's. His is a new polaris, and try as he might, he could not get it stuck. He wanted to try out the winch he put on last weekend, but just couldn't do it.
I didn't even try that hole with my three wheeler. crawled through several other though:D
My trike looked a lot worse than in the pic. Rode it along the lake shore and got a cheap wash job.
Went fishing afterwards, but didn't go any good. The wind was howling.
I wanted to go to Little Sahara on Saturday, but the weather put a stop to that.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
S-I-L has a Polaris just about like your buddies. They are definately hard to stick and one you do stick one, pretty hard to get out. Looks like a bunch of fun and now you'll get to flog around in some snow drifts! Only in Oklahoma.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, if the snow keeps up and we get as much as they are saying, I'll put the paddle tires on and do some drift busting:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
I haven't seen a 3-wheeler in forever.

I need to do something with my 4-wheeler. I have a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that I bottomed out in 2-foot snow drifts when it snowed in Dec. I had one identical to it a couple of years ago and it would go everywhere my friends' Grizzly 660s and Polaris 500s would go.

I may have to look into sand paddles too (although I have never been to Little Sahara and probably wouldn't get my money's worth out of them). Maybe we should have a trail/mudding GT?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put my paddles on this morning and have been doing some serious drift busting, only getting hung up once in a 3 footer. Just couldn't push that much snow. I remember in the 80's when you could get a ski to replace the front tire for snow riding. Now that would be fun ;D
I did a couple of spin-outs in the yard, and that was a big mistake. I'll be filling in ruts when it thaws out. Those paddles are like trenching tools :eek:
My buddy and I were talking about going to different areas to ride. We pretty much have the Kaw lake ORA and Little sahara for public. I can ride at the farm, but its pretty flat and not much of a challenge. Eastern Ok seems to have a lot around Hanobia and some of the places like that.
I get a lot of comments from people that haven't seen a three wheeler in awhile.
April 15-17 we are going to have the 3rd annual Okla Rampage trike meet at Little Sahara. Last year 73 trikes showed up for the group pic, with some leaving early and others out on the dunes. They came from all over the US, and this year looks to be better than last.
I guess having one is like having a gun that has been banned by the Gov. as these were.
Here is a pic from last year. The meet is open to anybody riding anything, so you and your 4 wheeler are welcome. Just a really fun weekend.

·
Registered
840 Posts
We'll have to get together sometime this summer to do some 3/4-wheeling, but I can't make it that weekend. I have a field trip at Pontotoc Ridge that same Saturday.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only in Okla.
Riding with t shirts on on a 72 degree day, and the first day of spring 8" of snow on the ground 24 hours later.
It was a blast though. Been out all day hitting the drifts around here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
look at you go there dennis...i can spot my lil atc125m in the big group photo. my 200x may be going this coming weekend i hope....if so we ought to do a lil riding fore the big ride

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm ready! Fling some mud or sand, I don't care ;D

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Dennis, you ought to try out the dunes at Beaver. The first dune inside the gate has got to be 80ft!

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beaver Okla?
We are looking for other places to ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is also good riding down at lake murry i hear, then some around hugo, and then there is the area at keystone lake

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Yep, Beaver OK. Also there is a riding area open just south of I-35 and Davis. Also one just south of Tecumseh by Macomb. I use to ride that place when I was a kid, big pasture with lots of gulleys and a big creek.

Prague lake has a nice little area as well.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the area at Beaver a public area?

Becker, what is the Keystone area like? Similar to Kaw?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Yep, it's set up just about like Lil Sahara, 'cept the first dune can be seen from the highway. Haven't ridden it, just saw that first big dune on the way to hunt Beaver River.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've ridden around Prague lake, and used to ride around Meeker lake until they closed it. It only costs like $2 to ride at Prague. I want to go to Little Sahara sometime, but I don't have paddles. 4-wheel works though. :D

Do I smell an ATV GT in the works?

·
Registered
92 Posts
at little sahara you dont really need paddles but are deff nice. i got around out there on buddies atc350x with the original tires on it with like 25% tread. low air pressure is the key. buddy rides a honda rancher out there and rarely has to put it in 4wheel.

as for the riding at keystone i my self have not yet been there. but i hear its trails, hills, sand on the beach and more. i wanna ride it soon after i get my atc200x running.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've ridden around Prague lake, and used to ride around Meeker lake until they closed it. It only costs like to ride at Prague. I want to go to Little Sahara sometime, but I don't have paddles. 4-wheel works though. :D

Do I smell an ATV GT in the works? Works for me!

Yeah, you don't need the paddles. I was a regular over there in the 80's, and never used them. If we got a little rain at night some of us would even put on our flat track racing tires, just so that we could have a little challenge. When that sand is wet, its like driving on a paved road, but when it dries out, it gets really fluffy.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Back in the day (insert old man joke here) I ran my Quadracer on the stock tires with every other row of knobs cut off. Worked like a champ and I liked it better than paddles. I could power slide better with that set up and didn't have any trouble climbing the big dunes. Plus you don't roost yourself nearly as bad as with paddle tires.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a set of Otsu bar tread flat trackers that I did the same to for loose ground racing. Thats the one used at Sahara.
Standard paddles are tough to turn with to say the least, The ones I got are the sand skates that are designed for a little better turning. In the snow, I had to lay over the front wheel to get it to turn. We'll see how they perform in the sand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts