Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a European mount done. Taxi that did it said he had lots of comments from others wondering why I didn’t do a full shoulder mount.
Window Natural material Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Helmet Natural material Bicycle wheel Automotive design Wood

Head White Light Black Natural material

Inside spread was 19.5”, left G2 was 11.5”, G3 was 11”.
Right G2 was 11” with a ton of mass. The pics don’t do it justice.
I’ll see if the local GW will score it after season is over. The net score won’t be good with so many deductions but I’m interested in the gross score. It could be my biggest.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have a wall full of mounts in the shop and mounts in the house.
Just didn’t feel the need.
Dennis, I’ve got the same problem. I’ve set myself a benchmark for a deer to qualify for a shoulder mount, and it’s probably going to be pretty hard to reach.

A reason I like euros is because no one ever comes to my house in TX or in OK to see my shoulder mounts, but I can take a skull to Thanksgiving to show the in-laws and out of town family. The biggest euro I have now is a 160” buck, and for some reason, I really want a 170 or 180 class euro. I just think it would be cool.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dennis, I’ve got the same problem. I’ve set myself a benchmark for a deer to qualify for a shoulder mount, and it’s probably going to be pretty hard to reach.

A reason I like euros is because no one ever comes to my house in TX or in OK to see my shoulder mounts, but I can take a skull to Thanksgiving to show the in-laws and out of town family. The biggest euro I have now is a 160” buck, and for some reason, I really want a 170 or 180 class euro. I just think it would be cool.
Nobody see's mine but me and the occasional visitor to the shop.
During our trip to the NW two summers ago we stayed at a park in Rarie Idaho. In the small town there was a bar that was always crowded. We stopped in one late afternoon after some sightseeing to get a beer.
The bar was probably 3000 sq ft with the band/dance area, bar area and a conference room.
The walls were absolutely covered in full body mounts of African and American big game mounts. Gators, Elk, Caribou, Lions, Tigers, everything.

I was like a school kid finding his first playboy magazine walking around in there admiring the mounts.
I asked the barkeep about the mounts being told that the owner of the bar had these in his home which almost never got seen by anyone, so he built the bar to house his trophies and provide a place for the community to visit. Never caught the name of the owner or his place in life, but certainly appreciated what he did.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I bought a couple of nice shoulder mounts at a pawn shop in Kansas several years ago for $75 for both. Both had small racks but were very good quality. I took the racks out by unstitching them between the ears, slowly wetting the hide from the inside just enough to get it plyable. Once the hide was bent down far enough I chipped the fill plaster out to find the screw that held the horns on. I removed the screw and then took the horns out. I then took another rack and matched up the skull cuts and placed it back in. Screwed it tight and had to trim a little around the bases and sewed it back together. The mounts I bought had racks with small base circumferences. Don't think one with some big bases would work as well because there will be a visible gap.
Here's 1 of the mounts with the rack I put in it.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats awesome! You do taxidermy?

I've also looked at the regulations in Oklahoma regarding the antlers I've accumulated since taking my first in 1982.
You have to contact the GW as by law no part of any animal can be sold except for the skins of deer or trapped animals like beaver and other animals like that.
Antlers and mounts in Oklahoma can only be sold legally one time at an estate sale or donated.
When I croak, all of the deer antlers/outdoor gear will be going through an auction with the money going to the kids.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thats awesome! You do taxidermy?

I've also looked at the regulations in Oklahoma regarding the antlers I've accumulated since taking my first in 1982.
You have to contact the GW as by law no part of any animal can be sold except for the skins of deer or trapped animals like beaver and other animals like that.
Antlers and mounts in Oklahoma can only be sold legally one time at an estate sale or donated.
When I croak, all of the deer antlers/outdoor gear will be going through an auction with the money going to the kids.
My youngest son will want a few of my mounts, but the rest will probably go in a dumpster. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Congrats on the muzzy buck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts