Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the ***** and cats I've geen getting pics of, decided to set out a trap line this am.
Put out 4 live traps, three for ***** and one for bobcat.
Two drowning set traps for some beaver that have been knocking down trees, and a dozen leg holds for cat, and or ****.
I have some loose hay in the barn that the rodents are in, and some of their nests, so took it and put it as a cover on some of the cat leg holds. Hopefully that will attract them.

The pic is a bobcat set. The cat has been walking across the log, leaving tracks in the snow, so setting a trap there might produce something if the trash will stay out of it.
Can't wait untill morning to see what we have got ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Cool man. Hope ya catch a few. Look forward to some pics.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did pretty good today. Got one beaver, two *****, two possums, three skunks and one armadillo.
Bad part is that I got sprayed by the skunks. Fortunatly had on my waders, and jacket, gloves, so getting out of them made the smell go away. That beaver had to weigh 50 lbs. I'll get pics of the skunks tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
That beaver will make a nice pelt & make's some good sir fry as well.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did Ok this morning. Ended up with 2 more beaver, a possum, two more skunks, and another armadillo.
I keep forgetting to take pics of the skunks. The stench is overpowering. Won't be back out untill next weekend, so tripped all of the traps.
This mud bank is where the beaver have been living and knocking down so many trees.

This is how I kill the skunks in the live trap. Had two of them at the same time in this one.
Duct taped a vacuum hose to the truck and gassed them.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis, are you skinning the beavers?
My buddy is. Beaver is bringing 8 to 16 bucks each at the fur buyer in Ks. He prefers them to be unskinned as they are the same price. My buddy heard that beaver meat is the best bait for bobcats, so he wants to fillet the meat and freeze it for this year and next. Hope he doesn't screw up the pelts.
***** are bringing the same money, unskinned.
Bobcats are bringing $120 to $200 depending on the quality of the pelt.
Not a lot of money, but it will help pay for the gas. Something to do after deer season. I never knew how easy it was to trap beaver. Read up on it, and watched some utube video's and went to work.:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hahaha!! I love the gas chamber!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gas chamber worked ok, but not as well as I thought it should.
The hose was under the tub for a good 15 minutes. It made them lethargic enough to not spray, but they were still alive. I figured a couple of minutes of the fumes would just put them to sleep......permanently.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Ya may also wanna try using rubbing alcohol, nail Polish remover, paint thinner and the like. Put in a cup or jar and placed in with them. It will displace the oxygen get'm so stoned they will die. My old high school science teacher used to use this stuff for dispatching mice, rats, frogs and such before we cut them up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The skunks may have more to say about it then the mice or rats did.especially when you go to placing the cup of stuff in their cage....Personally, the only skunks I ever caught got a 22 to the head...A friend of mine told me to always gut shoot a skunk and he wouldn't spray...the first and only one I ever tried that on didn't play fair..he sprayed everything around and I smelled it all summer..I was only using a 22. Maybe he meant to use a 300WSM..then they may not spray......

·
Registered
840 Posts
What do you do with the dead skunks? I would be satisfied that they were dead! Me- I would've thrown the cage in the river and got it the next day!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chunked the dead ones into the ditch, and rebaited the trap. The landowner was going back to the house the next day, so hopefully the two in the trap were all of them. If not, he gets the honors of getting them out. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis,
Just post your points for the skunks.
I know to take you for your word.

O' congrates on the critters.
If you like the taste of lamb you will love eating beaver,We make it into Chile,Stir fry & Red Beans & rice." Mountain Man food".

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I have some sorta critter that made a home under my deck and shed. I've tried to smoke'm out with military grade smoke bombs but it didn't help. I'm about to go buy me a couple live traps and I'm afraid a leg hold would end up on one of my dogs are kids hands. Was thinking about putting some DECON rat/mouse poison in one of the holes. I just filled in 7 holes leading under the deck and shed about the size of a softball.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the holes are the size of a softball, I'm not sure what it is. An armadillo hole is half the size of a basketball.
With the snow coming, could you get a photo of the footprint? That would sure help to identify the animal, and then we can figure out how to catch the critter. Keep us posted on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I sure wouldn't buy the rat poison if I was you Bull. I did a couple of years ago and it cost me a few hundred dollars after my dog ate an entire box. I have since read that if you own rat poison then rest assured that your dog will find it. It sure was true in my case..anyway..I just can't figure what kind of critter is living under your porch..keep us informed..

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I have yet to see it. I'll fill in the holes with dirt and rocks and within a day or two its dug around them. My dogs have killed a couple mice but they was small. If its a mouse its been using roids. I was thinking a field rat. My chicken coop had been getting busted into and the food eaten. Found same sized holes leading under and into the coop. Chicken all got eaten so that's not a problem now. I have set mouse traps out and had them tripped but nothing caught. It seems to be a night walker.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it is a rat, a mouse trap isn't big enough to catch it. You'll need a rat trap. I wish you were closer, I have a little size 0 steel leg hold trap thats designed for barn rats you could use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts