Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the crossbow out this morning. I have a small 22 acre area in the middle of a section that holds deer, but I can only hunt it with a south wind. Today was the day. Got out there at 6am, in the hub style ground blind, on the edge of a food plot.
Kicked back in the chair, and took a little nap. woke up and DAMM! there are 5 does and buck on the plot. :eek:
The buck was small, but one of the bigger does was working toward me.
She finally got within 20 yds, so when she put her leg forward, and leaned down to eat, I pulled the trigger.

Sequence of events: Trigger lets go, at the same time as she raised her head quickly.(as does do) I hear the TWACK of the arrow hitting. She jumps kicking out the back legs.

I'm thinking meat for the freezer. Actually a friends freezer that can't hunt.

Wait 30 minutes, and am very discouraged in not seeing blood at the point of impact. Just a group of white hair.

Waited another thirty minutes thinking this isn't right. Then got on the spot where I last saw the doe. Found one spot of blood, and later another tiny spot about 20' away, no more blood.

Started walking patterns in the tall grass, and finally saw a fawn running about 100 yds away. I know that when the doe goes down the fawn will hang around so just walked up there, and found nothing. Expanded my pattern, and saw another fawn running away. Went to that spot, and not 10' away, the doe busted out of some tall grass.
I could see the wound. Really low. She ran with the tail up, behind the pond dam. I slipped in on the other side of the dam, and spotted her. She acted nervous, but finally started feeding. Watched for another hour, and decided it had to be a brisket shot, with the white hair where she got hit. Snuck out of there and came home. She should be OK considering the location. It will be a week before I can get back in there if the wind is right.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Dang man that too bad it was such a low shot. At least you kept at it and determined it wasn't a lethal hit. She will be skittish for awhile now. Maybe you will get another chance at her.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
U missed?? What ?? :eek: :eek: :eek:
O' well happens to us all.
Y'all smack the next one. Don't go loosing sleep over it know. ??? ;D ;D

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in the same ground blind tonight.
Walking in, I busted the biggest buck I've seen in a long time.
He had to waddle off the food plot, and was easily 3" outside of his ears with lots of Mass.
I'll be sitting in the same ground blind in the morning. ;)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Ive been out behind the house a couple of times, but havent seen a thing.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that when I saw that big 8 point, that doe that had been knicked a week before was grazing the food plot with twin button buck fawns, so it looks like she made it. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts