Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as y'all know I was lucky enough to draw 1 of 18 tags for the new Grady County WMA (Located in Grady County). After paying my $20 fee and expecting to get my maps and all the info for this new place I was shocked to receive a parking permit a POC name and number. All it listed for this place was it was located 4.5 miles east of Rush Springs.

Well I called the number today to get more info and spoke a biologist. They haven't done the land survey yet but hope to in the next month. Until then no maps will be made up. Currently no boundary lines have been set in stone. The WMA consists of two 500 acre lots separated by private land. Road access to the tracks are off county roads 1530 and 1540. No deer count has been done yet. The biologist I spoke to said he has seen deer both times he was at the WMA. Deer numbers are likely small. He pointed to a couple of places to scout which I will have to check out.

Land consists of open country with mixed open to thick creek bottoms. Water is limited right now in the couple of creeks that pass through.

I'm optimistic about this late October ML hunt given the limited info and details the department has about it.

I have done a bunch of searches already for this place and found nothing. Also seen lots of questions asked about it. So maybe this post will attract a few new folks here as well now that some info is known about it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
What county is this WMA in and location of nearest town?

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What county is this WMA in and location of nearest town?

Well as y'all know I was lucky enough to draw 1 of 18 tags for the new Grady County WMA (Located in Grady County). After paying my fee and expecting to get my maps and all the info for this new place I was shocked to receive a parking permit a POC name and number. All it listed for this place was it was located 4.5 miles east of Rush Springs.

Well I called the number today to get more info and spoke a biologist. They haven't done the land survey yet but hope to in the next month. Until then no maps will be made up. Currently no boundary lines have been set in stone. The WMA consists of two 500 acre lots separated by private land. Road access to the tracks are off county roads 1530 and 1540. No deer count has been done yet. The biologist I spoke to said he has seen deer both times he was at the WMA. Deer numbers are likely small. He pointed to a couple of places to scout which I will have to check out.

Land consists of open country with mixed open to thick creek bottoms. Water is limited right now in the couple of creeks that pass through.

I'm optimistic about this late October ML hunt given the limited info and details the department has about it.

I have done a bunch of searches already for this place and found nothing. Also seen lots of questions asked about it. So maybe this post will attract a few new folks here as well now that some info is known about it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Read through it to fast.
Rush Springs has a good deer population & hogs are moving in thick.
Buddy of mine has family land to hunt in Rush Springs.

You should have a good hunt.
Maybe when ya come down will go take a look at it.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I plan to go look with a 12g in hand as well. But sounds like a plan.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Cool will have to go then.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2011-12 hunting reg books are out and they give limited info for the Grady county WMA in the back.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Being a new WMA, you might score a good one. I hunted the western wall in Osage county the first year it opened as a WMA. I got a decent buck, but there were some good ones taken. That was about 15 years ago. Since then I've drawn it a couple of times, and not had a shot at anything but fork horn bucks. Once they neighboring properties found out it was going to be a WMA, they started leasing land all around it. The permanent leases have feeders, etc that draw the deer off of Western Wall.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being a new WMA, you might score a good one. I hunted the western wall in Osage county the first year it opened as a WMA. I got a decent buck, but there were some good ones taken. That was about 15 years ago. Since then I've drawn it a couple of times, and not had a shot at anything but fork horn bucks. Once they neighboring properties found out it was going to be a WMA, they started leasing land all around it. The permanent leases have feeders, etc that draw the deer off of Western Wall.
You saying you have hunted this WMA before? From what I understand this is the first year its been open to hunting of any kind.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Referencing Western Wall in Osage county that I hunted when it first became a WMA, as an example of how a WMA can go downhill after the first couple of years.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh ok. I'm really looking forward to this hunt.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well bummer for me!! I was planning on going in the morning for the dove opener and do some scouting as well. So much for that idea.

I called the WMA office again today and spoke to Rex Umber the guy in charge of the area. The survey hasn't been done yet and untill it is the WMA is closed to the public. They hope to have it done by the Archery opener but said it will be open for the quota hunts for sure.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Well bummer for me!! I was planning on going in the morning for the dove opener and do some scouting as well. So much for that idea.

I called the WMA office again today and spoke to Rex Umber the guy in charge of the area. The survey hasn't been done yet and untill it is the WMA is closed to the public. They hope to have it done by the Archery opener but said it will be open for the quota hunts for sure.
I figured that might happen. Like in an earlier post, some WMA's only allow deer, but that may change in a year or two. Somehow, I'm thinking that this place might be that way. Dove hunters, upland hunters, etc, won't work on an area that small.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No this place will allow for all hunting. Right now because its new and the WMA lines haven't been surveyed and the boundary lines marked they aren't allowing any public access. They don't want people going onto private land by mistake. Once they lines have been posted it will open up. However for deer the ML and general firearm is quota only and closed to all except those hunters. Archery will be open to all. Its a cluster :) right now getting the place set up you could say. Right now they are working on building parking areas. I guess the survey has been contracted out to a company.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts