Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I am new to the forum and appreciate any advice you can share. I'm a life long bowhunter. I've mostly hunted SE OK, all over MO and many areas of KS. I recently sold my KS farm and I am considering purchasing some land in western OK. I have found 2 properties that look great. They are loaded with deer and have good cover. Neither of the sellers have any hunting history or trail cam pics. I'd appreciate any knowledge, harvest pics and/or trail cam pics that you can share from Greer and/or Beckham counties. Id like to learn more about antler potential and body size of the bucks thank you in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Isn't the Sandy Sanders WMA in Greer County? If so, I can attest to big deer and there are free ranging Aoudad coming over from TX. Do you mind me asking how much per acre? We own property in East Central OK and the prices have gone through the roof with lots of Asian investors. You can PM me if don't want to post on the internet the asking price. I'd have to find some pics but an old acquaintance has taken several P&Y from that area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't the Sandy Sanders WMA in Greer County? If so, I can attest to big deer and there are free ranging Aoudad coming over from TX. Do you mind me asking how much per acre? We own property in East Central OK and the prices have gone through the roof with lots of Asian investors. You can PM me if don't want to post on the internet the asking price. I'd have to find some pics but an old acquaintance has taken several P&Y from that area.
Yes. Sandy Sanders WMA is in the same area as these properties. I've never hunted there. I'd love to learn more about the bucks taken there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've looked at a handful of properties in W OK. Most are listed in the $1600/ac range. I havent seen any comps yet to know what price they are actually bringing. Of course, river property is a bit more expensive. Smaller properties are also more expensive. Im shopping in the $275k to $350k range.

I've looked at some properties in SE OK and around Pawnee County as well. Those properties are in the $1800 to 2200/ac range.

I can also share about KS, W MO and TX panhandle. Feel free to ignore if you are not interested.

SE KS hunting property is going for around $2500/ac. S central KS is going for around $2300.

MO is going for around 2600.

Tx panhandle area is wide ranging. I've seen some nice properties for $1000/ac. I've seen some in the $1500/ac range.

My previous farm was in SEK.

Hope that helps.

If anyone knows of a great hunting property for sale please let me know. I'm on the clock and need to spend the proceeds of my KS farm. I would like to buy something asap.

I'd be happy to share my contact info and speak with you.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
86 Posts
Best of luck in your quest Brian. If you find a good property and feel compelled to have an Oklahoma Hunter member hunt, just post back here! :)

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Land prices are going through the roof because of the asians taking advantage of Ok lax mary jane laws. Everywhere I drive around my part of the state has a grow house under construction. Land with outbuildings that can be modified into grow houses are going for premium money. Talking $3000 per acre or higher.
The Asians are giving asking price for land with no negotiations.
Hunting on land for sale used to be the driver for high land prices, but pot growing capability seems to be what is setting land prices now.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Absolutely correct Dennis. What we bought early last year for $1500/ac could supposedly bring $2300-2500/ac today. I told the guy I bought the land with that we should ask $3000/ac and see what happens. Granted, most growers are doing indoor operations so really don't need 300 acres. Easy access. Electricity. Building(s) or places to put them. Driving down Hwy27 from Okemah and noticed SEVERAL new building being built and all seemed to have lots of exhaust fans and electric boxes.

20 acres of all wooded land with easement road access(2 gates and probably 1/2 mile from the main road) is for sale adjacent to ours. Owner was asking $60K and got a full offer but the guy ended up backing out(probably when I met him and explained he had only 20 acres and no access to river, no access to hunting, and we have cameras up for trespassing). Well, the land owner was getting so much attention he raised the prices to $70K($3500/ac). Talked to the listing realtor and while it hasn't sold yet he did say it's getting attention and it's the cheapest 20 acres around. I've got an email out to the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority questioning about water and soil waste management. While I'm okay with someone doing a legal activity, I do NOT want their grow chemicals flushed out into our aquifer. If they do buy it for this purpose, I can honestly say we are NOT going to be good neighbors!

I looked on whitetail properties which is where we bought our land through. They have 0 listings for land in Okfuskee county when generally there's at least 10-15. Hughes county which is adjacent only has 3 properties listed that aren't sold or pending and they're all over $1M.

On a positive note, there are almost 7,000 licensed growers. WAY too many for all to stay profitable at the level it's at right now. Trust me, I lived in CO for most of the last 25 years and have first hand knowledge the direction this is headed. Prices go down, some growers bail and cut their losses, most find black market sources to keep revenue stream coming.

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
On a positive note, there are almost 7,000 licensed growers. WAY too many for all to stay profitable at the level it's at right now. Trust me, I lived in CO for most of the last 25 years and have first hand knowledge the direction this is headed. Prices go down, some growers bail and cut their losses, most find black market sources to keep revenue stream coming.

Funny you bring that up. We were in Colorado all summer in the RV, and went to Durango for a couple of days in a hotel to visit and off road with friends that live there. Big neon lighted pot shop across the street from our room that had zero activity during the evening.
Asked the waiter the next morning about why that place had no business. He replied that Co has taxed pot so high that it's cheaper from bubba on the street corner and bubba has better product.
I don't think Ok has gone that way which is why growers are moving here. Less taxation. I don't mess with the stuff, never have so I may not be totally up to snuff on all that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dennis, simple economics right? Quality Supplied = Quantity Demanded. Don't want to hijack the thread but in CO they have a lax grow law for at home. Anyone 21 or older can have 6 plants apiece growing on their property without any kind of license or card. I think these people have gotten better growing at home so don't need dispensary and have extra for Bubba! At one time a few years back, the resell law was interpreted as an individual can't sell his pot to anyone else BUT he can take "donations" towards the cost of growing, etc... CRAZY! You could find pot on Craigslist in Denver!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Dennis, simple economics right? Quality Supplied = Quantity Demanded. Don't want to hijack the thread but in CO they have a lax grow law for at home. Anyone 21 or older can have 6 plants apiece growing on their property without any kind of license or card. I think these people have gotten better growing at home so don't need dispensary and have extra for Bubba! At one time a few years back, the resell law was interpreted as an individual can't sell his pot to anyone else BUT he can take "donations" towards the cost of growing, etc... CRAZY! You could find pot on Craigslist in Denver!
"donations" guess it's all in the language isn't it?

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Ok allows 12 plants for personal use so if one has a “family” of 10 or 50(I don’t know the law about what constitutes a “family” ) one could potentially have a sizable pot farm I guess.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I grew up hunting Northern Washington and Osage counties, moved to the NW part of the state and hunt several counties here now. Also hunt in SE KS now as well. I can tell you before you buy something in western Oklahoma, you really need to check out the surrounding properties and try to figure out what goes on around the property you're looking at. What kind of neighbors you'll have and how they use their property will be important. This is way more important out here due to cover and terrain more than buying land that's covered in timber for miles around. You'll also come across some properties that look fantastic for deer and then when deer season rolls around and there's zero deer around, the opposite will also hold true. I've got a friend that is nothing but grass, a small draw with a tiny pond on 80 acres. Tallest two things on the place are his 10' tower and his deer feeder. Rare to see a deer before the middle of October and then they are thick in there and him or his kids will kill at least one really nice buck every year. From February to September it is absolutely void of deer though lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks OKbob. How big are the bucks your friend is killing? I appreciate the info. I've spoken with the neighbors for both properties. All seems good there.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thanks OKbob. How big are the bucks your friend is killing? I appreciate the info. I've spoken with the neighbors for both properties. All seems good there.
150's, no Booners yet. He lets those walk, hard to tell his kids to let them walk though lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
150's, no Booners yet. He lets those walk, hard to tell his kids to let them walk though lol.
Okbob,

Can you share which county your friend hunts? I know about the quality of NW OK bucks. I'm curious about Beckham and Greer specifically. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts