Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
Most folks won't post the location of their big deer hunting areas.
In this day and time that intel brings in guides and outfitters to lease up the land.

Reactions: rswink

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Most folks won't post the location of their big deer hunting areas.
In this day and time that intel brings in guides and outfitters to lease up the land.
Yes Dennis. I understand how that can happen. I'd appreciate a pm if anyone can share quality of bucks in those counties. I am not an outfitter or a guy who leases a bunch of properties. I am simply a father who wants to buy a property for my sons to chase nice bucks. I'm not a deer snob or a wealthy guy. I need to make an informed decision on this purchase. My son's have taken many 140s and 150s. We have been very fortunate to tag a few deer over 160. Im interested in buying a farm that has realistic opportunities at 150s and 160s.

I put in the effort to keep year round foodplots, mineral stations and high quality feed. Im looking at farms costing around $350k. That's a very large investment and I need to get it right.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from.
There is no magic bullet of a property unless your willing to buy a large amount of land where you can manage a herd.
A quarter section of land will only hold deer until the first few weeks of bow season, then the bucks start getting into the wandering rut season where they travel looking for does. Then it's a crap shoot to see if one wanders on to yours.
I have a property that should have a ton of big deer on a river with lots of natural minerals but it produces dinks and does.
Neighbors have no idea about letting the dinks grow saying they are "meat hunters".
I keep telling them that a mature 10 point that scores 150 has a lot more meat than that fork horn that weighs 1/3 what a mature buck does will provide a lot more meat.
I get a blank look in return.
What I'm trying to say is that no matter how good the property is, it's what your neighbors are doing that will produce quality bucks no matter how many food plots you put in.

Reactions: rswink

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Agreed. But, I dont think you understand my question.

I've hunted many properties all over the Midwest and Texas. I've owned small properties and I've leased properties 2000 to 3000 ac. I understand full well how far and why bucks travel.

My question was very simple. But, I'll try to add more clarity. Can anyone share with me the expected/common/average antler size of mature bucks in Greer and/or Beckham County OK?

If you can help with that, then thank you for your help.

While I appreciate everyone's insight on growers, Asians, pot dealers, deer travels, neighbor relations and the like. I would appreciate even more some advice on my question.

I am happy to share knowledge that I have on KS, TX and MO. Feel free to PM me if I can help any of you.

I'm also happy to share success and failures I've had with food plots, buying properties, managing leases or anything like that.

Like I said. I'm just a regular working guy trying to gather info to make a wise decision.

Thanks to all

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
The SE part of the state has the most B&C bucks, but they weigh about what a big dog does.
The SW and NW have the biggest bodies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
November All Year, I think those that have info have provided what we know about those 2 counties. I think your quest for "the expected/common/average antler size of mature bucks" won't come from Oklahoma Hunter or any single source as it's such an open ended question with answers coming from the average Joe whose buddy knows a guy that hunts the area. Not the intel that I'd want to base spending $350K on. If the ODWC hadn't gone to online check-in, that info might be available.

Have you posed this question at Bowsite, Archery Talk, Oklahoma Shooters?

Here's a link to the Cy Curtis entries and you can limit the search by County. https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/cycurtis/Deer.aspx

Given what I sent you via PM and this, I can't help anymore with your research. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
299 Posts
November the price range you are wanting and the quality of deer you are looking for can be found in Alfalfa and Grant County. We have been buying quite a bit of property for that price and lower. The deer quality is good because everyone does their part to manage the herd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Smith!! I looked at a place in Harper. There was a great looking 160 listed in Alfalfa. It sold before I closed on my KS place. So, I couldn't jump on it. Perhaps you bought it. If so, congrats.

I havent seen much for sale in Alfalfa or Grant. Ill definitely keep my eyes peeled! I'm on the clock with 1031 money. If anyone runs across some hunting ground for sale in those counties I would appreciate you passing it along.

Thanks again

21 - 31 of 31 Posts