Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a gun dog make a good family dog as well?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
IMHO the best gun dogs are family dogs. I have seen gun dogs who stay in kennels do well but everyone I know who has a gun dog that is also a family dog they do even better. The reason is simple they want to please their master and there will be a connection there. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had heard that but I had also heard that they don't mix. I think Ill go with your opinion. I seem to think that is a good balance, and it makes sence about there being a connection.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
My gun dogs have always been a family dog. A lot of it depends on the breed though. Thats why a Britt will always be my gun dog.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have been taking everyones advice and can personally see that being a family dog is making her a great hunter too. She seems to want to please me by doing what I ask of her in the field and at home.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
You got it! Make him your buddy. Dogs that are force broken will work for you but do so because of fear of the handler. I prefer to make them obey out of pleasure, and take advantage of their natural instincts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Freeman????? Didn't you learn a dang thing from Kele and me.I know I shot most of the birds. Both Duck and upland game hunting,but that was the best Family dog you'll ever see Hunt. Of course he is a Chessy,I also have a Yellow Lab on his second season. He started at 7 months,now 1.2 years old,Natural+Professional training,they went out for the first time Friday,and will be out Chucker hunting Wednesday.
Greg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Learned alot from you guys, but as you know Kele is an exceptional dog. I have heard alot of debate in regards to dog training and wanted to get some feed back from everyone. Between what I learned from you and Kele and the info I got off the boards here I have turned my dog into a real good working dog and family dog. Shes had some gun shy issues but with trust building and constant work she is starting to turn into a gun dog. Last weekend I took her out and she did very good around the sounds of gun fire at the duck ponds. So how have you been? Its been a while.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I had a beagle that was gun shy so bad she would crawl up into the fender wells of my truck to hide. Broke her by taking her to a trap range in the country, stopping about 1/2 mile away. I brought her favorite toys and lots of snacks. At that distance she was a little jumpy, but with all the snacks and so on, she got comfortable with it. The next week when the trap shoot went on, I moved her up, and so on until I had her walking behind the firing line without any problem. ;D
The britt I currently hunt with was broken to the gun the same way. It was a charity trap shoot for the local volunteer fire dept, and by the end of the day, all the kids had him on his leash walking and playing with him.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Freeman????? Didn't you learn a dang thing from Kele and me.I know I shot most of the birds. Both Duck and upland game hunting,but that was the best Family dog you'll ever see Hunt. Of course he is a Chessy,I also have a Yellow Lab on his second season. He started at 7 months,now 1.2 years old,Natural+Professional training,they went out for the first time Friday,and will be out Chucker hunting Wednesday.
Greg
Good to hear from you buddy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
dennis, it looks like you are the brittany man ,i though if you know of any young or puppyes for sale or rescue keep me in mind,

i could give them a good home & care......thanks

UPDATE::: I WENT WITH A GSP INSTEAD....THANKS

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I will do that for sure. The breeders we got Gunner from split up as we found out after trying to buy another pup from them. They had great blood lines. I like to keep about 4 years between dogs so as one is heading toward retirment on the couch another give em hell pup is coming along. :D

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Here is the story behind us getting Gunner.

I looked for a long time as my older dog was past his prime, and was wanting to get one of the "French Brittany's"
I quickly found out my budget would not allow this.
We got on the Daily Oklahoman classifieds and decided to make a tour of all the breeders, and with our first stop we found the dog we wanted. Actually my wife picked it out.............It had the prettiest face......go figure.....
Whatever, but it turned out to be a good dog. It was the least expensive kennel we were looking for as well. I think Britts are natural hunters and over the years of owning several, and being just as much house dogs as well as field dogs, I love the breed. The grandkids love them and vica versa.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Here is a pic of him the day he came home

Playing with his favorite buddy Shadow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
great looking pup,we had are 2 brittany for 13 years ,lost them in 97 6 mos apart, and just lost are rotterman after 8 years on the 15 th.

i could never forget any of them

UPDATE:see above

1 - 16 of 16 Posts