Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out with a buddy on the first day about 1830. Didn't expect to see much, as the scouting didn't turn up any sign, but when we pulled up to my wheat field, we saw some hens on the other side feeding along the trees. We snuck down the neighbors tree row, and got set up about 100 yds away. Started calling and got three gobbles in return. The hens didn't do much but feed, and then two of the three toms came into view, all fanned out. After a few more yelps, one of the hens came in our direction, so I started with purrs, and clucks thinking she might draw the toms closer to us.
The toms stayed with the larger group of hens, but this one started yelping continously and came right to us. She stood in front of us for 5 minutes yelping and clucking non-stop, not three yards away. She finally quit, and walked behind us, still 3 yds away, and proceeded to yelp more. It can't be any better than this with a live decoy ;D
finally she walked back in front of us, and toward the toms. I looked out the corner of my eye, and saw my buddy shaking like a leaf ;D We tried the sneak on another group, but they kept moving away from us. Did see one nice tom in that group that kept getting chased off by some younger toms, but they never got close enough. Have to see if they will come to the call this weekend.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well you've got me beat so far. Season's still young though!

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Hell ya man thats what its all about.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went out this morning, getting there a little late. Had 4 does on one end of the wheat field, and one on the other. They didn't spook, just watching me while setting up. They finally went back to feeding when all of a sudden they bolted into the woods. Shortly afterward, two coyotes appeared, looked around the field, and went back into the woods. Shortly afterward, turkey shot out of the trees flying across the river.
The coyotes came back into the field, so at 200 yds I lip squeeked them. Its amazing how well they can hear at that distance. They came running to me, stopping about 100 yds out looking right at me. One went upwind, the other went through the tree line to get down wind. When he was out of sight, I swung around and was waiting. He stopped about 70 yds behind me. I knew my scent was going right to him, and that was as close as he would come, so I let him have it with a load of 5's. At that range all it did was sting him, but maybe he will stay out of our neck of the woods now. Got home around 9, and its time to go see if the crappie are biting in the creek. ;D

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Kind of makes ya wish for one of those over under shotgun/rifle combos don't it!!!!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kind of makes ya wish for one of those over under shotgun/rifle combos don't it!!!!
Yes/no
This tom has eluded me for two years now. Last year he was on the neighbors just 20 yds from mine. I didnt shoot him.
this year, he is on me. I still can't put it together. He just won't come in. Made a new striker today for the pot call and see if it helps. Made from hackberry. First time for this wood.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
You had anyone go with you that can set up and call from behind you? Sounds like you need to show this tom that commitment issues ain't a good thing.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have thought of it. Its a good way to do that. But, this is a small area, and even though I could have killed him last year by shooting him on the neighbors, I elected to not take the shot as he was not on my hunting area. I'm kind of funny like that. I still can't figure out how a bird with a brain the size of a pecan can outsmart a human with a brain the size of a grapefruit.
Thats why I like to hunt them ;D

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I kind of figure it's like this, they spend all day every day of their lives trying to learn how to grow old. We spend month trying to figure out how to out smart 'em. Ding, one for the turkey!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts