Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Kicker and Rswink talking about saddles last year. I'm considering dabbling in the tree saddle biz, but I'm cheap and it's the end of season. However, I've decided to dip my toe in the water, even if it's unconventional. I bought some Hawk Helium Steps a few weeks ago, they are pretty nice btw. I had my rock climber buddy recommend me a good inexpensive harness. I'm going to try using the bottom half of my climber as my platform. (not the one I have listed in the classifieds, I have two climbers).

I'm real fidgety and real cheap. I really don't see myself liking setting in a butt sling and wedging my feet on a 4"x10" platform for 3-4hours. Trying it this way I can stand on a platform I know and trust, can move around a bit, and use the rock climbing harness not only as a fall system, but I can lean into it to take pressure off my feet if I get tired. This should be a fun science experiment.

The idea is to be able to get into trees my climber simply can't and doing it with as little weight as I can, safely. Maybe this will help me realize I need to buy a saddle system and platform, or it will convince me to go buy a new hang-on. Either way, as long as I don't fall, it should be a fun time. Of course, I'll be hunting too while I try this, that should be interesting to say the least. I'll report back with pictures even if I can remember. I haven't done anything dumb in a while so I figured now is as good a time as any. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
This year was the first year in a dozen years I’d hunted from an actual tree stand. A tower blind on 2 occasion during that same time span.
I have a thing with heights but this year I rather enjoyed the view from 15’ up. I think I’ll be using some hang ons and a 2 man ladder next year for bear season.

Take some pics of your setup and share when the time comes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My season ended with 1 buck, I am switching to squirrels for a month as my wife and son work of deer the next few weekends.

Google DIY fleece saddles or get a cheap sit drag on Amazon, your legs will thank you for getting the pressure off them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My season ended with 1 buck, I am switching to squirrels for a month as my wife and son work of deer the next few weekends.

Google DIY fleece saddles or get a cheap sit drag on Amazon, your legs will thank you for getting the pressure off them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I read about the sit drag. The fleece saddle sounds like an easy backup to keep in case I get fatigued. I'll be using a large platform and really plan on standing and only leaning into my harness when I need to take pressure off my feet. I can stand in a tree for 3-ish hours without too much of an issue. I figured I'd work with what I've got until I decide whether or not to pull the trigger on "proper" saddle gear.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's some initial pics on my sticks/stand bottom. With all straps, aiders, etc. It weighed right at 20#. Pretty close to the climber weight. My harness weighs a pound and I can wear it in so that's not necessarily weight I'd feel. Tether does weigh an extra pound or two in my pack, but again, I'm not a weight weanie, just trying something new.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I still haven't tried this out yet. I hunted all day yesterday, but got distracted. I went in blind to a new spot with my tree seat after not seeing a single deer last weekend. Still didn't see any deer. Then I just decided to scout the afternoon before the rain came in. I'll try to get this out to try before next weekend.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried it one set last weekend: platform is way too big by itself. It was a bit awkward to hang while standing on climbing sticks. That said, it wasn't terribly uncomfortable for about 3.5 hours. I used my rc harness like a saddle, it wasn't bad setting for 20-ish minutes at a time. It was pretty neat being able to sneak into a briar thicket and tuck in pretty quietly. It was a pretty sleek package.I got on a few does and a small buck at dusk. I'm intrigued to give saddle hunting a real try next season. We'll see what the off season brings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts