Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this rifle last December and didn’t get to break it in last year, so it’s been a goal to draw blood with it this year. I hunted with it a couple times during OK muzzleloader season and struck out, so I decided to give it a try here in east TX. My intention was to kill a pig or two or several, but evidently, the pigs have temporarily moved out of the area I have access to. I changed my plans and decided to take a doe, but after 4 hunts, all I saw was bucks. I changed my tactics and was able to get a shot at this doe this morning. It was a 50 yard shot with an easy trailing job of only about 15 yards.
Plant Tree Wood Hand tool Trunk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good looking rifle! Congrats on the doe
It’s a 34 year old Thompson Center Hawken “Cougar” which was a limited edition run of 5000 in 1987 and 5000 in 1992. Mine is from the 1987 run. The original barrel wasn’t in the best shape, but it shot decent. I ended up acquiring a Green Mountain “long rang hunter” 50 cal barrel, and that’s what’s on it now.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a fun shooter and gets it done. What kind of groups you getting out of it
Given my eye sight, I get good groups on paper out to 50 yards, but I can ring 8” steel plates out to 100. I’ve really enjoyed messing with this gun, and I will more than likely go after pigs again with it as soon as I locate some.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
I like shooting smoke poles. My bucket list top pics involve a smoke pile as the weapon.
I hope that’s the first of many many more critters you take with it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like shooting smoke poles. My bucket list top pics involve a smoke pile as the weapon.
I hope that’s the first of many many more critters you take with it.
With today’s technology, shooting a “modern” muzzleloader isn’t really any different than shooting a centerfire rifle, and I’ve indulged in all the newest technology and am kind of working backward to the “primitive” now.
I’m with you on having a few animals I’d like to take with a primitive muzzleloader, and I guess I can say today was my kick off to that quest.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Im’a kill me a bar with a smoke pole lord will’n cum next spring I reckon!!

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
I have a 12 ga SXS muzzle loader shotgun. Started working up a slug load for it three years ago and never finished the project.
Need to get back in that and actually shoot something.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Heck Archer22 got back to the basics last year I think it was and reading his posts seems like he has found a new passion/appreciation and hasn’t looked back.
Agreed. Getting back to the basics has added a whole new perspective and appreciation of hunting as a whole for me. I completely see how using a primitive muzzleloader would bring back those same feelings. I feel like any time a person challenges themselves it is a good thing. Heck, I bought my first inline muzzleloader three years ago and only hunted with it one season because it feels too much like a rifle. Still fun, but not like using a sidelock like you have there. Do what it is that you enjoy.

Congrats on the doe.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I am not a purist by any means. When hunting becomes "robotic" it stops being fun for me. Sitting the dear stand with my K-15 .308 Norma Mag changes things from deer hunting to deer killing. That is why I am dragging the old Martini with me this year. Martini will challenge at the short ranges, the K15 further out.

Archery, I have taken a couple deer and one elk with a bow. Yes I use a modern compound, surely not as challenging as a traditional bow, but for me still a challenge. I haven't taken anything from a stand with a bow yet. That might change things. Need a good archery buck.

Muzzle loaders, now I just can't get excited about modern muzzle loader---primitive yes, But for me pellets, sabots and scopes don't fire me up.

I have a number of muzzle loaders. Newest is 170 years old. A Manton 75 caliber musket. 130 grains of FG and lead round ball between to card wads. But the more fun gun would be the 220 year old Volunteer pattern Brown Bess I have-75 caliber flintlock. I sure would like to take a deer with that, wouldn't that be cool!

First I need to find a seat to lease so I can have someplace to hunt all seasons. Outfitted hunts are expensive, and limited to 4 days. but until I find that one seat, at least I get to hunt.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like DD, I like a challenge, but I don’t really want my weapon to be what I have to overcome. As the guys on here from OSA know, I’m a “trophy” hunter meaning my goal is mature bucks that carry big head gear, and for several years, I‘ve picked out ”a” buck or maybe two via early game camera scouting and hunt him/them exclusively. If I lived at my place up there, this would be less of a challenge, because I could hunt pretty much anytime I wanted. Patterning an animal via cellular game camera from 500 miles away and being able to actually get on him in the few days I’m able to hunt IS a challenge. Some years I’m successful, and some years, I’m not. For me, it’s not about killing deer, because I‘ve got that part down. It’s about outsmarting old bucks that have been around the block a time or two or several, and though I don’t ever like it, I’m willing to come home empty handed and have many times. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 13 of 13 Posts