Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the wife has been driving me crazy for a very long time to go back to school. Well I'm gonna call the VA on Monday and do just that. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield in the movie "Back to School" except I hate heights and thus the dive team is out of the question.

I mentioned on here before that I really want to get into Taxidermy. I have been looking on line for awhile now at schools all over the country to attend. Many of the full courses are 6-10 weeks depending on the school and range from $5,500-$12,500. Some supply all the tools needed and the game animals plus fish needed. They all let you keep the mounts when done.
Well thanks to my wife and a chance run in with a local Taxidermist I was told of a Taxidermy class locally at a community college taught my a practicing Taxidermist in the area. It's an accredited school and class. They offer basic, intermediate and advanced classes. The next basic class starts in October and runs till December. I have to supply all my own tools and specimens for mounting. I know a guy that used to be in the biz and said he would sell me all his stuff.

Now here is a question I have for all of you. Given that its open season if you harvest a deer (doe's or small buck), yote, fox, beaver or any other critter you don't want beyond the meat I'd be willing to pay for the hide/ head for mounting/ training. I already know how to cape for mounts and how to prep hides for mounting. I have done a couple skull mounts/ skull caps and tanned a few rabbit hides before. PM me if you think you can help me out. I have the freezer space to store several full skins and such. My cell # is 405-778-9791.

When all is said and done I plan to open my own studio but for now I'd work from home and maybe on some critters for folks here once I feel more confident in my skills. Maybe also work at a local studio for further my skills. From what I have been told by local shops this area is in need of those that do birds and fish. Mostly to to the laws and special licenses and permits required to do waterfowl and such. Been reading up on all that stuff as well. Fun reading I tell ya.
I have always wanted to do Taxidermy and it finally seems to be coming to life.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Well, you can have all the critters I end up with. Going to do some pheasant hunting this year and the wifey sez she'd like to have a couple of birds done.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe we can work something out.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird, make sure you take me with you on the Pheasant hunt.
I'll have to disown you if you leave me behind. That is how bad, I want to go.
Just so that you know. ??? ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bull,
I think trades on hunts for taxidermy work will work for me. ;) 8)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bull,
I think trades on hunts for taxidermy work will work for me. ;) 8)
LOL I knew the day would come when I'd wear out my welcome. No more Pinapple for Kelly then.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I just happen to have a bobcat in my freezer.
Properly tagged of course.
Maybe we can talk about it. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm all ears. I'll edit my OP and add my cell number to it. I'd be willing to travel to pick up as well.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Bird, make sure you take me with you on the Pheasant hunt.
I'll have to disown you if you leave me behind. That is how bad, I want to go.
Just so that you know. ??? ;D
I wouldn't think of leaving with out ya!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would leave him behind Bird. If he goes he will harvest everything before anyone gets a chance to.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I know, drive by pheasant killin's just ain't right!!!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I'm all ears. I'll edit my OP and add my cell number to it. I'd be willing to travel to pick up as well.
Maybe when I get off of this overhaul, mid to late Oct, and get a saturday off, we can do a match at Ponca, and get the cat in the freezer to you.

If you need it sooner, we can work on that.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe when I get off of this overhaul, mid to late Oct, and get a Saturday off, we can do a match at Ponca, and get the cat in the freezer to you.

Sounds like a plan. Send me a PM with what sorta payment you had in mind.

I almost got me a HUGE squirrel 2 nights ago that was out in the tree in my front yard but the wife wasn't having any of it as dinner was ready. Hence almost had till the wife ruined the hunt.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hay now, I give you two a fair chance at everything.
Ooo' sorry Bird,I had to redeem myself that one evening on that doe.

Bird- your still my favorite Uncle ;D ;) .
Bull- your always welcome around here.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Maybe when I get off of this overhaul, mid to late Oct, and get a Saturday off, we can do a match at Ponca, and get the cat in the freezer to you.

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan. Send me a PM with what sorta payment you had in mind.
[/quote]

Its a cat that is prime. Not outstanding colors.
Its not for sale. Its yours. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Um thanks man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts