Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was some interest expressed in my introduction post about the Milsurp 1903 that my grandfather sporterized. I haven't seen an heirloom guns post in here and I don't want to revive a dead post either.

So let's see your heirloom guns!

This one is the Springfield 1903 my paternal grandfather, who I never met, bought for around $140 and proceeded to sporterize afterwards. From my understanding the man was a state trapper/hunter most of his adult life. This rifle currently has a Simmons 3x9x32 scope on it, but as soon as I get my rings I will be replacing that with a Vortex Razor HD LHT in 3x15x42 that I won in a raffle a few weeks ago.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Wood Trigger Publication Office equipment Metal

Door Wood Household hardware Cylinder Bicycle part

Next up is a Pre-1964 Winchester Model 94 chambered in 30-30 that my maternal grandfather left me. It has the original Weaver scope and Side mount attached to it. The leather sling was gifted to him by an older Native American woman who lived down the road from him in Schlegal. This rifle has probably killed more deer than I've seen in my lifetime over the years, and I've seen quite a few since we regularly butchered 15-25 deer a year between all the family members for as long as I can remember.

Door Wood Fixture Nickel Gas

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Hand Leg Wood Human leg Metal

And finally I have this old Remington Model 12 from my maternal grandfather. I believe it is the A variation as it is un-decorated and can shoot 22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle. I'm unsure of the year of this rifle, however I know it needs some work on the extractor as well as the feed ramps. Outside of those two issues though, this rifle is an absolute tack driver.
Wood Trigger Metal Bicycle part Pipe

Wood Slope Soil Landscape Wrist

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Man, that Vortex is going to be overkill for that rifle, but I'm jealous that you won it. Congrats!

It's good to see a rifle get passed down and enjoyed. My dad's 03A3 that he bought sporterized in the 60's ended up going to my brother, and it still shoots extremely well...my brother updated the scope too, but a Zeiss Conquest in his case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, that Vortex is going to be overkill for that rifle, but I'm jealous that you won it. Congrats!

It's good to see a rifle get passed down and enjoyed. My dad's 03A3 that he bought sporterized in the 60's ended up going to my brother, and it still shoots extremely well...my brother updated the scope too, but a Zeiss Conquest in his case.
Funny thing about that Vortex is that last year after deer season I bought a crossfire II 3x9x40 to replace that old Simmons and never got around to mounting it. I figured since most everything I've read says the 30-06 is good out to 500 yds for most prey the Razor would be a nice setup for when I decide I can afford to go chase some elk. And of course since I already had that Crossfire, I'm putting it on the 350 legend upper that should be here tomorrow. I've thought about shifting that old Simmons over to the Lever gun, but honestly I've also been tempted to find a Vortex that would be fitting for it as well. Kids are growing and showing their interest in helping to put deer in the freezer so I'd love for them both to have decent glass to do so with.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Nice history lesson and pieces of family history as well.
I’ve got the same camo sling on a single shot 12g. That -06 needs one better suited for its rich history.
That leather sling on the 30-30 is cool. It has just as much history as the gun I’m sure.
Gotta love a pump .22 as well.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Nice photos!
I have several vintage guns. One I call the ugliest gun ever inherited from my FIL.
He was raised in the hills of Tennessee. They had one gun growing up that put meat on the table.
When FIL got old enough to hunt on his own he got three rounds of .22 RF and he had better bring something home to eat.
It’s an old Stevens(model I’m too lazy to go verify) that had an old weaver scope mounted on home made mounts.
The scope is one that is pre-nitrogen with real wire reticles.
The scope mount is classic *******.
Wow! The deleted part is obviously verboten as it describes someone with a red neck without the space.
Anyway, I’ve fired the rifle through the cloudy scope and it’s an absolute tack driver to this day.
Hood Typewriter Motor vehicle Grille Bumper

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar

Motor vehicle Trigger Automotive tire Wood Air gun
Wood Natural material Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar
Hood Typewriter Motor vehicle Grille Bumper

Motor vehicle Trigger Automotive tire Wood Air gun

Wood Natural material Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Dennis that thing is definitely unique for sure! I love that its still a tackdriver even with the mishmash scope mount and ancient glass.
I'll never change anything on it either. It will stay that way until I'm pushing daisy's.
The kids knowing how anal I am about my guns will probably freek out until reading my gun journal.
Every one I have is listed and the history of that gun is included in that journal. If modifications have been made, and so on.
Example, I was given a Model 12 Winchester pump shotgun in terrible shape manufactured in the year my dad was born. Took a long time to learn how to refinish the wood back to the original finish, and do rust bluing on the barrel and receiver which was typical in the 1920's and so on.
There is a hex barrel Winchester 1890 in the safe that is well over 100 years old passed down by my dad and more.
Love my AR's and modern sporting guns but there is a history in these old guns I love to research.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Nice photos!
I have several vintage guns. One I call the ugliest gun ever inherited from my FIL.
He was raised in the hills of Tennessee. They had one gun growing up that put meat on the table.
When FIL got old enough to hunt on his own he got three rounds of .22 RF and he had better bring something home to eat.
It’s an old Stevens(model I’m too lazy to go verify) that had an old weaver scope mounted on home made mounts.
The scope is one that is pre-nitrogen with real wire reticles.
The scope mount is classic ***.
Wow! The deleted part is obviously verboten as it describes someone with a red neck without the space.
Anyway, I’ve fired the rifle through the cloudy scope and it’s an absolute tack driver to this day.
View attachment 8570
View attachment 8569
View attachment 8571 View attachment 8568 View attachment 8569 View attachment 8570
View attachment 8571
View attachment 8568

When you pull the trigger, I bet the sound of the report comes out as dueling banjos. 😄

1 - 8 of 8 Posts