Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from south of San Antonio. I wanted to learn a little more about Oklahoma from the guys that live there. I’m considering retiring in Oklahoma on a really good catfish lake and with hunting opportunities near there wanted to know what areas and lakes to look at. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Eric

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.
I can’t blame you for wanting outta south TX. My in laws live in San Antonio. Can’t say I miss the visits very much.

Well OK has lots of good cat fishing lakes. Many with good deer and other critter hunting close. You looking for lakefront type property or close proximity to the lake?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like lakefront, but not opposed to lake view. I was looking at Grand Lake and lake Eufaula, but open to suggestions

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!
Either of your choices would work.
Grand lake has fantastic fishing. One word of caution though, on weekends and holidays the lake can get extremely rough because of the very large boats that cruise the lake.
Eufala also has great fishing. Both have nearby hunting opportunities.
Given the choice, I’d pick Grand Lake between the two.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
We used to go and camp at Lake Tenkiller on the east side of OK. Great fishing and hunting around the lake. Lots of lakefront properties as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. Me and the wife are planning a trip up to the areas we are interested in and will add Tenkiller to the list. I’m not in any great hurry, I have about 10 years before I will be retired, but would like to start looking for a area and can buy if the right deal comes up and use as a vacation home till I do retire.
Thanks again

·
Registered
720 Posts
welcome. Kaw has good fishing and allot of public hunting. . Don't know about lake front property though.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
welcome. Kaw has good fishing and allot of public hunting. . Don't know about lake front property though.
No lake front property on Kaw. The level fluctuates too much being the first flood control lake on the Arkansas River system.
It can fluctuate up to 30 feet from normal levels to max flood stage.
It is probably the premiere blue cat lake in Ok though.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Texhoma has some great catfishing on it and several good places to hunt not too far away from it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not sure if you can get lakefront on Tenkiller either. BUT, I feel it's one of the prettiest lakes in OK. I'm basing that on lakes big enough to get a fair sized boat out and innertube with the nieces/nephews. Grand Lake is really nice but like Dennis pointed out it can be a hectic weekend with lots of traffic and BIG boats(mine's bigger than yours mentality). Good catfishing in Eufaula and Texoma with corp land close by to hunt.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Eufaula has the better group of folks out of the lakes I’ve heard mentioned so far, down home easy going type. You can’t say that about Grand at all. Wishbone hit the mail on the head in his comment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts